FOXBORO -- Day 13 of Patriots training camp practice saw the team in shells and shorts. Though the gear was a little bit lighter than it was on Sunday when the team wore full pads, Bill Belichick insisted before practice that the session would not be a walk-through. They'll be back in full pads on Tuesday when the Eagles come to Gillette Stadium for the first of two joint practices.
Partly cloudy and about 85 degrees. Nice day, though the crowd in attendance looked a bit sparse relative to the monster crowds seen earlier in camp.
Ryan Mallett was not in attendance for the second consecutive day. Still unclear why he's been absent. Brandon Browner also was nowhere to be found on Monday.
Rookie center Bryan Stork, tight ends Michael Hoomanawanui, DJ Williams, defensive tackles Chris Jones, Sealver Siliga and offensive lineman Chris Martin were also not present.
Tavon Wilson and James Anderson were back on the field on Monday, though Wilson appeared to not be wearing his light shoulder pads and was limited.
WHAT THEY WORE
The Patriots were dressed in shells and shorts today. Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo wore red non-contact jerseys. About 45 minutes into practice, corner Malcolm Butler was also given a red non-contact jersey. Not clear as to why. Rob Gronkowski was also given a red jersey.
WHAT THEY DID
The team began with a half-speed installation period and then moved to stretching and individual position drills. Defensive backs then walked through their roles in defending combination routes while the offense walked through a running-game period.
After a 7-on-7 session, Tom Brady worked with Rob Gronkowski (defended by Darrelle Revis) while the punt team worked on its coverage with Matthew Slater working as a gunner. As that went on, Jimmy Garoppolo stood with Josh McDaniels and listened intently as they had what would qualify as a relatively long, and unusually stationary, training camp on-the-field meeting.
Eleven-on-eleven work followed by ball-protection drills and more punt team work. Roy Finch and Danny Amendola fielded punts off the foot of Ryan Allen.
WHAT WE SAW
* Malcolm Butler and Patrick Chung did some half-speed reps with first-team defense. Nate Ebner and Duron Harmon were safeties with the second group.
* Matthew Slater did some interesting work, going against two opponents with hand-held pads. He worked on getting off the vice with good footwork and body positioning. He's one of the best in football at covering punts so it was fascinating to watch him hone his technique in slow motion.
* Though Dobson and Easley were on the field, they were limited in their work. Neither competed in 11-on-11 drills and Dobson wasn't spotted in 7-on-7 work. Alfonzo Dennard was also not spotted in team work. (Dobson participated later and appeared to be moving well when the offense went up against fellow offensive players and ran through some quick wide-receiver screen work.)
* Rob Gronkowski saw his first 7-on-7 action of the summer on Monday. A step in the right direction from the big tight end. He caught one pass from Jimmy Garoppolo and sat out the rest of the period.
* Funny moment to start the session as rookie tackle Cameron Fleming came on to the field wearing a very tight No. 12 jersey. He later changed into his normal No. 71.
* Interesting to see defensive backs learning how to pass off receivers to one another as they mixed zone and man coverages. On the other side of the field, safeties worked on finding receivers that had been passed off to them. Two drills working on one play. In 11-on-11 or 7-on-7 work is when the lessons learned there come together.
* Boston College hockey coach Jerry York was spotted taking in practice at field level. About an hour-and-a-half into the session, Patriots owner Robert Kraft stopped by to watch.
* Brady complete to Julian Edelman with Jamie Collins in coverage.
* Brady complete to Danny Amendola on a shallow cross.
* Brady complete to Brandon LaFell with Revis in coverage.
* Brady complete to Amendola long down the sideline with Alfonzo Dennard in coverage. Duron Harmon a step late in getting over to help.
* Brady complete to LaFell on a nice back-shoulder throw with Dennard in coverage.
* Brady complete to Amendola.
* Brady intercepted by Nate Ebner when ball glanced off of Josh Boyce's outstretched hands.
* Garoppolo complete to Edelman in the flat with Ebner in coverage.
* Garoppolo complete on a quick slant to Boyce.
* Garoppolo complete to James White over the middle. Nice grab by White on a ball thrown behind him. Garoppolo shakes his head after throw.
* Garoppolo incomplete to Jeremy Johnson. Pass broken up by Logan Ryan.
* Garoppolo intercepted by Justin Green. Nice leaping grab by Green.
* Brady complete to Kenbrell Thompkins on a deep out.
* Brady couldn't find an open receiver and threw one to Revis who caught it easily.
* Brady complete to Edelman on a long crossing route.
* Garoppolo complete to Gronkowski in the flat. His first catch in 7-on-7 work during training camp. Gronkowski came off the field after the play.
* Garoppolo complete to LaFell on an out route.
* Garoppolo complete to Edelman with Chung in coverage.
* Garoppolo complete to Wilson Van Hooser short.
* Brady incomplete to LaFell. Pass broken up by Ryan.
* Brady incomplete to Thompkins. Thomkpins dropped what should have been a routine catch.
* Brady incomplete to LaFell deep down the sideline. Daxton Swanson was there in coverage and helped break up the play.
* Brady complete to Boyce with Hawkins in coverage.
* Brady incomplete to Amendola. Ball thrown beyond Amendola's outstretched arm.
* Brady complete to Boyce with Butler in coverage.
* Brady complete to Edelman deep down the middle of the field with Swanson in coverage.
* Garoppolo can't find a receiver and takes a "sack."
* Garoppolo complete to Brian Tyms.
* Garoppolo complete to Van Hooser on a 10-yard hitch.
* Garoppolo complete to Tyms on a deep out.
* Garoppolo hand off to Ridley up the middle.
* Garoppolo complete to Boyce.
* White run to the right side.
* Garoppolo incomplete.
* Garoppolo complete deep down the sideline to Slater with McCourty in coverage. Nice one-handed leaping grab by Slater.
* Garoppolo scrambles out of the face of pressure.
* Garoppolo complete to Boyce short.
* Jonas Gray run up the middle.
* Roy Finch run off tackle.
* Brady complete to Edelman on a deep cross.
* Brady complete to Vereen on a swing pass.
* Brady incomplete to Develin deep down the sideline. Nice pass breakup by Collins.
* Brady complete to Amendola deep over the middle.
* Brady complete deep down the middle to Edelman. Ball was a touch under-thrown and Edelman pushed off on Kyle Arrington for some separation. He made an impressive catch with his non-push hand, but that one likely would have been called back -- especially with the new emphasis on offensive pass interference.
* Brady complete to White underneath.
* Garoppolo complete to Brandon Bolden short.
* Garoppolo complete to LaFell on a quick slant.
* Garoppolo complete to Tyms over the middle with Swanson trailing in coverage.
* Garoppolo complete to Johnson deep over the middle.
* Brady incomplete to Amendola.
* Brady complete to Thompkins.
* Brady intercepted by by Butler on the sideline. Nice juggling catch by Butler, who was all over Thompkins in coverage. Brady turned his palms to the sky after the play.
* Garoppolo complete to Bolden.
* Garoppolo complete to Develin.
* Garoppolo complete to Tyms as Tyms tapped his feet on the sideline.
* Garoppolo complete to Develin on a swing pass out of the backfield.
* Garoppolo incomplete over the head of Johnson.
* Garoppolo incomplete.
* Garoppolo complete to Johnson for a touchdown from about 10 yards away.
* Garoppolo incomplete over the head of Tyms' head and out of the end zone.
* Garoppolo complete to Develin on a short cross for a touchdown.
* Brady incomplete for Thompkins.
* Brady complete to LaFell.
* Brady incomplete to Thompkins.
* Brady incomplete to Edelman. Off Edelman's hands. Collins in good coverage.
* Brady complete to LaFell over the middle.
* Garoppolo complete to Boyce.
* Garoppolo incomplete to Develin.
* Garoppolo complete to Boyce on an out.
* Garoppolo incomplete to Johnson.
* Nice day from Brandon LaFell, who showed a nice connection with Tom Brady. There were a few routes where LaFell could have had the option to streak down the sideline or stop for a back-shoulder throw. He and Brady were on the same page every time.
* Good steps for Dobson, Easley and Gronkowski today. Dobson seemed to move well in the limited drills he completed. Same went for Easley. Gronkowski getting a rep in 7-on-7 is another small step in his recovery process.
* Malcolm Butler had a red non-contact jersey on, but he had another good day. Getting reps with the first-team, he made a nice interception of Brady that ticked off the Hall-of-Fame quarterback. Nice feather in the cap for an undrafted rookie out of West Alabama.
* Kenbrell Thompkins had a hard time getting his hands on the ball Monday. On one of the few occasions that he did, he dropped it.
* Tavon Wilson appeared to have a shot at the safety job next to Devin McCourty with the first defense, but an unknown injury has limited his practice time over the last two days. We'll see if he's able to work himself back into the rotation when the Eagles come to town for practice starting on Tuesday.