ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Xander Bogaerts rejoined the Red Sox Friday after spending the last week on the seven-day concussion DL. Bogaerts was hit in the helmet by a pitch a week ago.
The plan is for Bogaerts to be back in the lineup Saturday, the first day he's eligible to return. He's already been cleared by team doctors and passed all the tests administered by Major League Baseball.
"I really didn't have too many symptoms,'' said Bogaerts. "The only symptoms I had was (being) sleepy. Everything I did, I would just get sleepy. I wasn't doing any baseball activities. But the sleepiness was all I kind of got. No headaches or anything like that.
"I didn't have any problems with memory or focus or anything like that. It was just a little bit of tiredness.''
Bogaerts was limited in what he was allowed to do in the last week and felt "kind of bored.'' He caught up on some rest and watched the team's games in Toronto on TV.
Bogaerts faced live pitching in batting practice for the first time in a week Friday at Tropicana Field in anticipation of his return to the lineup Saturday.
"I feel good,'' he reported. "I'm excited to be back here and be back with the boys and hopefully I'll be ready to go (Saturday).''
Bogaerts is hopeful that he can forget about the beaning and focus on his at-bats.
"You have to push that away,'' he said. "It might take a few pitches before I get it out. Who knows? We'll see (Saturday).''
It's been a trying year for Bogaerts, who has a slash line of .223/.293/.333 and if there's a silver lining to his being sidelined for the last week, it's that he got a chance to step away and get a mental break.
"Hopefully, it benefits me,'' he said of the time off. "I got some rest, some rest that I needed and I'll try to finish the season strong.''
It's expected that the Sox will option Carlos Rivero back to Pawtucket to make room for the activation of Bogaerts.