Same old, same old from JHW

881219.jpg

Same old, same old from JHW

In the past, I've given John Henry a hard time about his obsession with only conducting interviews over e-mail. My belief was, and is, that whole thing just seemed a little too calculated and controlled. Like most things associated with this ownership group, there was just something so distant and disingenuous about him only existing in cyber space.

I know he got a lot of flack for barging into the 98.5 studios that afternoon, but I loved seeing that from Henry. I wish he'd carry himself like that more often. Like a real person. With real emotions. With passion that goes beyond what can be expressed with different fonts and punctuation.

But with all that being said, Henry finally did speak today down in Fort Myers. He spoke REALLY spoke to reporters for the first time since the end of last season . . .

And it was a total let down.

Here's Henry on:

Rumors that the Sox are for sale: "The last 12 years have been the best years of my life," he said. "You just don't get an opportunity to own the Boston Red Sox, so as long as we can do it, the three of us (chairman Tom Werner and CEO Larry Lucchino) are committed to being here. These thoughts that we're somehow selling, those are just erroneous."

Liverpool: "Last year's losses on the field weren't the result of Liverpool . . . I would say that all three of us are intimately involved every day with everything that goes on in Fenway Sports Group."

The perception that the Sox are too PR conscious: "I have to laugh. That's just laughable. It's ludicrous to say we signed any player, since we've been here, for PR purposes. I don't think anybody would assert that. And if it's asserted, it's just ludicrous."

And those are the highlights. In other words, there were no highlights. He said nothing that we haven't heard before. Nothing that sheds light on what we didn't already know. Nothing to help Sox fans feel better about the direction of the team, because who's to say if he's even telling the truth.

It probably doesn't matter. When you think about it, is there anything that Henry can say to make this situation better? Short of "It's with a heavy heart that I announce that the Red Sox have parted way with Larry Lucchino," I don't think so.

The situation is beyond words and promises.

It won't get better until the Sox make it better on the field.

Regardless of anything Henry says to reporters or fires off from keyboard.

Unless he, Larry and Tom feel like filming a line-for-line recreation this video.

That's sure to win back some support. At least from me.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Pedro Martinez tells WEEI Ortiz will make comeback this season

Pedro Martinez tells WEEI Ortiz will make comeback this season

Never say never?

While Red Sox officials said at the team's annual Winter Weekend at Foxwoods on Saturday that they'd be traveling to the Dominican Republic to talk to David Ortiz about a role with the team, Pedro Martinez told WEEI he sees Big Papi returning to his old role - designated hitter - this season.

CSN's Trenni Kusnierek and WEEI's John Tomase talked to Martinez on their show Saturday at Foxwoods and Martinez said his old teammate would be making a comeback despite the long, emotional farewell tour last season. 

For the full interview with Martinez, click here.

Red Sox executives Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and Dave Dombrowski made no mention of Ortiz returning as a player when talking about their Dominican trip. Ortiz has repeatedly said he is going to stay retired. 

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

sale-redsox.png

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.

Chris Sale.

The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.

But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.

“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.

“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”

He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.

He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.

But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.

“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”