McAdam: It's a break for Lackey

565158.jpg

McAdam: It's a break for Lackey

Sean McAdam thinks a year away from Boston may help John Lackey as much mentally as physically.

"Apart from having to get the elbow repaired and get back to full health, this guy seemed . . . on a number of occasions . . . like he was an athlete in personal crisis," McAdam told Jessica Moran Tuesday on SportsNet Central after news broke of Lackey needing Tommy John surgery, which will sideline him for the 2012 season. "Remember the postgame tirade in Toronto at the end of May where he said, 'Everything in my life stinks right now'; we had the meltdown at Yankee Stadium in September when they were clearly some issues . . . off the field in his personal life; he's dealing with a lot.

"It's been a tough adjustment for him here. People were wondering, 'How would he . . . transition to Boston?' The answer, after two years: Not very well. Combative with the media, the target of fans, and not performing on the mound.

"Maybe some time away is not the worst thing for John Lackey."

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.