From Comcast SportsNetSOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) -- Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o didn't show any signs of being affected by the girlfriend hoax leading up to the BCS title game, but his play indicates it may have taken a toll, coach Brian Kelly said Tuesday."Hindsight is 20-20. I didn't think going into the game he was affected by it. But he didn't play his best. Alabama had something to do with that, clearly. But I really don't know," Kelly said."It's a lot to weigh on the shoulders of somebody. I think we can make the leap that maybe it did. But I think Manti would know for sure."Te'o said in an interview with ESPN after the news of the hoax broke that it did not affect his performance in the title game blowout.Kelly spoke to reporters Tuesday by conference call for the first time since the Irish were beaten 42-14 by Alabama in the BCS title game on Jan. 7. He said his interview the Philadelphia Eagles was mainly to get more information about coaching in the NFL, and his heart remains in college football. He's also working on a contract extension with Notre Dame.Kelly said so far everything that has come out about the girlfriend hoax matches up with what Te'o told him when he called him on Dec. 26. Kelly contacted athletic director Jack Swarbrick immediately after Te'o told him what happened."Obviously, we all heard the story. It just sounded so crazy that the first thing I wanted to make sure we did was get the right people on top of this immediately," he said. "That was my first thought, to find out What the heck is going on here.'"Te'o had described the girlfriend, who supposedly died of leukemia last fall, the love of his life. But Te'o got a call from the person posing as the girlfriend on Dec. 6, to say she hadn't died. He continued to talk about her when questioned at the Heisman Trophy ceremony on Dec. 8. He told Kelly about the situation 18 days later.Te'o told ESPN on Jan. 18 that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a 22-year-old acquaintance who lives in California, contacted him Jan. 16 and confessed to the prank.Kelly said he wasn't sure what to think initially. Despite all that's happened, Kelly said he will still remember Te'o as one of the best teammates and leaders he's been around in 22 years of coaching."He showed the way how to be a great teammate. His work ethic, his commitment, all of those things," he said. "He was special to coach and he did all the things that I think great players have to do on a day-to-day basis."Kelly described his interview with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie was more "intrigue than it was interest," saying the Eagles contacted Swarbrick within a day of Andy Reid being fired on Dec. 31."My head said: Let's be more informed as it relates to the NFL. But my heart is in college football and with Notre Dame," Kelly said.He said he wanted to learn about the day-to-day operation of NFL teams to see if it was something that might interest him."I wanted to answer those because we're going to win again next year and there's probably going to be teams interested in me coaching in the NFL and I want to be able to tell them definitively that I want to coach college," he said.Kelly, who agreed he wouldn't talk to the Eagles until after the title game, said it wasn't a problem keeping the interview from being a distraction."Because I wasn't even certain I was going to interview," he said. "It really wasn't even on my radar."Kelly said he's been telling recruits that he was flattered by the attention from the NFL, but that he's committed to Notre Dame.Kelly also said he feels good about negotiations under way with Swarbrick about a contract extension, saying negotiations began on Dec. 6."We both want the same thing, the long-term consistency of the program," Kelly said.Kelly originally signed a five-year contract three years ago at a reported 2.5 million a year and was given a two-year extension a year ago.Kelly said despite losing by 28 to Alabama, he's still excited about the Notre Dame football program. He said Irish players understand how much more they need to improve."Our workouts now in the offseason will be focused on getting back to that game," he said. "As I told our team, we have some work to do. No question. But we know where we want to go."We know that we're capable of getting back to the national championship game, and we started that journey two weeks ago."
BOSTON - First impressions from the Red Sox' 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay:
* There's a steep learning curve for a set-up man, as Clay Buchholz discovered.
Although he's pitched out of the bullpen for the last couple of months, most of those appearances weren't of the high leverage variety. More often than not, the Sox had a sizeable lead, or Buchholz was brought in earlier in the game. Or they were behind and he was mopping up.
But Tuesday was different. The Rays had battled back to tie the game in the bottom of the seventh, and after Matt Barnes got the final out in that inning, Buchholz came in to start the eighth.
After getting Kevin Kiermaier on a groundout to lead off the inning, Buchholz threw a four-seamer to Evan Longoria that the Tampa Bay third baseman launched toward the Charles River, clearing everything and putting the Rays up by a run.
It was a reminder that in late innings of close games, one pitch, with missed location, can really hurt.
* Hanley Ramirez knocked in two runs. He was sort of lucky.
In the fifth inning, Ramirez hit a twisting opposite-field fly ball down the right field line. It landed just past the Pesky Pole in right, measured at 307 feet, the shortest homer in baseball this season, according to ESPN Stats and Information.
Then, an inning later, Ramirez hit a pop fly that drifted into shallow right. Three Rays defenders converged -- first baseman, second baseman and right fielder -- and somehow the ball dropped in between all three for a run-scoring single.
Two cheap hits, two RBI.
At times, you'll see hitters mash the ball, only to have it hit right at someone for an out. Rotten luck, and all.
Tuesday night, Ramirez got to experience the flip side of that.
* Drew Pomeranz had an excellent outing -- until his final pitch of the night.
Through 6 2/3 innings, Pomeranz had allowed a single run on four hits while walking two and striking out eight.
He had retired 10 of the previous 11 hitters he had faced, and while he was approaching his 100th pitch, showed no evidence of tiring.
Then, Pomernaz hung a curveball to No. 9 hitter Luke Maile -- with two strikes, no less -- and Maile hit into the Monster Seats for a game-tying, two-run homer.
It was the first homer on a curveball allowed by Pomeranz in 153 innings this season, and all of a sudden, the outing wasn't so special.
At Tuesday night’s Patriots Premiere event, tight end Rob Gronkowski was presented with the 2016 Ron Burton Community Service Award.
Gronkowski is the 14th player to have received the award that is named for the late Ron Burton. The first player the Patriots organization ever drafted, Burton was well-known for his charitable work.
“Ever since I’ve been here, following the Krafts, the whole Kraft family, from Myra Kraft, Mr. Kraft, all his sons, seeing everyone lead by example, how they give back to the community every single week was just an honor to see,” said Gronkowski, “I just wanted to be a part of it and give back to the community in a positive way.”
Those who have received the award in the past include Nate Solder (2015), Devin McCourty (2014), Matthew Slater (2013), Zoltan Mesko (2012), Jerod Mayo (2011), Vince Wilfork (2010), Kevin Faulk (2009), Larry Izzo (2008), Ty Warren (2007), Jarvis Green (2006), Matt Light (2005), Troy Brown (2004) and Joe Andruzzi (2003).
"Rob is just as fun to watch at a community event as he is on the game field," said Kraft. "Giving back to the community is a big part of being ‘Gronk.' He is engaging with fans of all ages. His gregarious personality makes him one of our greatest ambassadors, especially when spreading cheer to children at local hospitals or schools. We love the devotion and enthusiasm that he shows in the community and are proud to present him with this year's Ron Burton Community Service Award."
Gronk, never shy about cracking a joke, entertained the crowd like only he can.
“Who would have ever thought five years ago when I was on ESPN every weekend drunk that I’d be accepting this award?”
BOSTON - On Thursday, rosters will expand for major league teams, enabling them to add as many as 15 more players -- if they so choose.
The Sox, of course, won't be adding nearly that many. In fact, they'll probably only promote three or so players by Sept. 1, with additional players added after minor league seasons end on Labor Day.
The Sox call-ups will come in two waves. A look at who might be called up and when.
FOR FRIDAY: (the Red Sox are off Thursday)
* catcher Ryan Hanigan
* reliever Joe Kelly
* outfielder Bryce Brentz.
Hanigan is finishing up a rehab assignment and will provide the Sox with a third catcher, enabling John Farrell to either pinch-hit or pinch-run for one of his two catchers (Bryan Holaday and Sandy Leon) without worrying that he's putting himself in a potential bind.
Kelly would give the Red Sox another swing-and-miss bullpen option, though he's yet to establish himself as big league reliever.
Meanwhile Brentz would give the Sox another outfield option with the injury to Andrew Benintendi and further free up Brock Holt for infield duties.
FOR TUESDAY: (Day after International League season ends):
* reliever Heath Hembree
* infielder Deven Marrero
* reliever Noe Ramirez
Hembree has been effective in spurts and could offer some match-up options against righthanded hitters.
Marrero was a September call-up last year and could be a late-inning defensive replacement for Travis Shaw at third, or spell Xander Bogaerts at short if the Sox want to rest Bogaerts in one-sided games.
In the bullpen, Ramirez would serve as a long man in games in which a starter is knocked out early.