Seidenberg rested and ready after overdue return to Germany

701990.jpg

Seidenberg rested and ready after overdue return to Germany

The closest Dennis Seidenberg had ever come to playing with his brother, Yannick, previously was when the younger Seidenberg sibling traveled to Boston for the Stanley Cup Finals against the Canucks.

It was a great couple of weeks for us, obviously, said Seidenberg, who arrived in Boston from Europe on Monday. He felt like he had won the Cup by the end of it.

But the two Seidenberg brothers finally got their wish to play together when older brother Dennis signed on to play with the Mannheim Eagles in Germany during the four month NHL lockout. The Bruins defenseman hadnt even been back on German soil in seven years after bursting onto the NHL scene and marrying an American woman. So it was easy to acknowledge that it was nice for Seidenberg to finally be home, and the 31-year-old managed to put up 20 points (2 goals, 18 assists) in 26 games for Mannheim.

It was nice playing with him and it lasted a few months longer than I expected, said Seidenberg. It was a good time and a good experience being on the same team with him. Just being home again was great. I hadnt been home in seven years. I got to hang out with people that I never really see any more, and I got to play for the team that got it all started for me.

But it was also bittersweet given the circumstances that kept him away from his regular gig guarding the Bruins net like a finely built German tank and lugging pucks straight up the ice.

Staying busy, skating in organized practices and keeping in game shape are things I enjoyed and Im certainly grateful for, said Seidenberg, who will once again play a big-minute role along the blue line for the Bruins this season. But now its time to get back and Im so excited to be back and ready to play.

Given the injury to Adam McQuaid that may delay his start to the season and an expected slow orientation process for rookie Dougie Hamilton if he makes the Bruins club, a good deal will be expected for Seidenberg along with Zdeno Chara. So its a good sign that he feels rested and ready to go, and even better that hes in midseason form with a scant week-long training camp beginning this weekend.

McQuaid on going in the NHL expansion draft: ‘I hope that’s not the case for me’

McQuaid on going in the NHL expansion draft: ‘I hope that’s not the case for me’

BOSTON – With the NHL expansion draft looming a couple of months in the future, it became much more of a reality for the Bruins this week now that the 2016-17 season is in the books.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney said on Thursday that he expects the Bruins to go the 7 (forwards) 3 (defensemen) 1 (goaltender) route protecting their roster from the June 21 expansion draft. That will still leave some useful roster players unprotected.

MORE BRUINS

Atop that available expansion list for the Bruins will be potential names Malcolm Subban, Riley Nash, Jimmy Hayes and Adam McQuaid, who could be headed to Vegas. Asked about the topic at this week’s breakup day for the players, McQuaid expressed his hopes that he isn’t the one selected by the Vegas Golden Knights. The 30-year-old McQuaid stayed healthy enough to play in 77 games this season, and posted two goals and 10 points along with a plus-4 while serving in a top-four role pretty much all season as Torey Krug’s defensive partner.

McQuaid also brought the toughness and quiet leadership element with his willingness to always stand up for his teammates and go toe-to-toe with the toughest guys in the league when it was called for. His midseason heavyweight bout with Matt Martin was one of the most memorable moments of the season. It’s an element the Bruins would miss if he was taken in the expansion draft.  

“Well, I hope not. I never thought of it that way, to be honest with you. Obviously, the reality of the situation is they’re picking somebody from every team,” said McQuaid. “So, I hope that’s not the case for me. I’ve won here and I’ve always said how much I love it back here. I can’t imagine playing for another team. It’s totally out of my control, but hopefully that’s not the case.”

McQuaid is signed for $2.75 million for the next seasons and it was clear he was missed on the penalty kill once he went down injured in the first-round series against the Ottawa Senators. As for the entire expansion process, Sweeney said they are currently whittling down the protected list while required to protect Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron and David Backes to start by virtue of the no-movement language in their contracts.

Other young players, Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Frank Vatrano among others, don’t need to be protected either after completing this season with two years or less of pro hockey experience. One of the most difficult decisions will come down to protecting either 25-year-old Colin Miller or 28-year-old Kevan Miller as the third defensemen. 

Whichever one of those D-men is left unprotected would join McQuaid as the most likely player to be selected by Vegas GM George McPhee after he spent a decent amount of time scouting the Black and Gold this season to get an idea of which player he wanted.

Here’s our best guess at which players will end up being protected by the Bruins:

Forwards (7): Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Pastrnak, Marchand, Beleskey and Spooner

Defensemen (3): Chara, Krug and Colin Miller

Goaltender (1): Rask 


 

Brady’s pre-draft Facebook post tries to provide some inspiration to picks

Brady’s pre-draft Facebook post tries to provide some inspiration to picks

Pick No. 199 in 2000 tried to provide a little inspiration to the next generation of NFL draftees before the first selection Thursday night. 

Remember: they can't measure heart. Whether you're picked first, last or not at all, YOU decide what happens next, every day. Good luck!!!

Posted by Tom Brady on Thursday, April 27, 2017