You think the Sox are innocent?

560294.jpg

You think the Sox are innocent?

There was a time when the only leaks associated with the Red Sox were the ones Manny Ramirez took inside the Green Monster, but these days the two concepts are as compatible as peanut butter and jelly, rock and roll, Scott Boras and ginormous dirt bag.

Today, the Red Sox leaks saga continued in a report from Rob Bradford, where it was revealed that Major League Baseballs investigating an unusually high number of leaks surrounding the Sox August waiver activity. However, this time around, Boston appears to be void of any blame.

Bradford writes: "MLB has told the Red Sox, however, that the organization is not under suspicion for leaking any of the information. (Teams usually are motivated to not have such information leaked out due to reaction from their own players, along with possible ramifcations for any potential trades.)"

To which I write: Ha! Looks like Lucky Larry pulled a fast one on the chaps over at the league office.

Of course the Red Sox are responsible for these leaks.

You really think they were worried about player unrest? As if one of these guys finding out that they were placed on waivers (especially when it's common knowledge that a ton of players go on waivers every summer) was going to make things worse in the clubhouse? Please. That clubhouse was as bad as it was going to get. Meanwhile, by leaking to the media that players like Josh Beckett were on waivers, the Sox were saying to their fans: "Look! We're trying! We know it won't be easy, but we're doing everything we can to reset this roster."

And as for the potential trade ramifications, from everything that's been written, Lucchino could have made a pass at one of Stan Kasten's daughters and the Dodgers presidentpart-owner still would have jumped through hoops to wrestle Gonzalez away. For him, it was the perfect opportunity to take his team to the next level. And for the Sox, the perfect opportunity to kick off their favorite AugustSeptember past time.

Leak central, baby.

Stay tuned these next couple weeks. It's only getting started.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

yankees-aroldis-chapman.jpg

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.

The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.

A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.

Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.

Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.

Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.

With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.

Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.

Fox Sports first reported the agreement.

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.

The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.

"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."

Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com