By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam
TORONTO -- After some initial speculation that he would not anytime soon get an eighth chance at career win No. 200, Tim Wakefield will start for Red Sox Tuesday when they begin their final homestand of the season.
Wakefield, who left with an 8-5 lead after five innings only to have the Boston bullpen squander the lead, has tried without success seven times to win his 200th.
He allowed five runs -- four of them earned -- on three hits while walking three, striking out two, throwing two wild pitches and hitting two batters on Wednesday night.
Wakefield's last win came July 24.
When manager Terry Francona was asked Wednesday who was scheduled to pitch Tuesday at Fenway, he said the team was still undecided.
For now, both Erik Bedard and Josh Beckett are sidelined with injuries and will have their turns skipped this weekend. But the Sox have extra starting options, with Andrew Miller pitching Thursday night, rookie Kyle Weiland going Saturday night.
Additionally, the Sox have an off-day Monday, allowing them more flexibility.
Wakefield could get more chances for No. 200. The Sox have a day-night doubleheader set for Sept. 19 against Baltimore. It's also likely that some of the front-line starters could get skipped in the final series of the year at Baltimore as the club arranges its postseason rotation.
Sean McAdam can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam
OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.
The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.
A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.
Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.
Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.
Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.
With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.
Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.
Fox Sports first reported the agreement.
Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.
The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.
"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."
Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com