Tanguay: Henry, Werner wanted Francona out

324682.jpg

Tanguay: Henry, Werner wanted Francona out

Contrary to the public comments of Red Sox chairman Tom Werner and CEO Larry Lucchino at their press conference on Friday, the 'Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight' panel of Gary Tanguay, Greg Dickerson and Joe Haggerty said it was clear Terry Francona had little support from team ownership.

"The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy reported that principle owner John Henry who missed the press conference because of a minor accident suffered on his boat has had Francona in his sights for a while," said Tanguay.

"I was told tonight Werner didn't want him back, either. Now I don't know if Werner didn't want him back because John Henry didn't want him back, I don't know what his thought process was.

Tanguay continued: "Why didn't they just come out and say, 'Look. We haven't made the playoffs for two years, we have the second-highest payroll in baseball, there's no reason why we shouldn't have made the playoffs, somebody's got to be held accountable, we're holding the manager accountable.' . . .

"Then you might have had . . . a debate. Because you would have had someone who said, 'You know what? John Henry's right! They should have done better!' "

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

yankees-aroldis-chapman.jpg

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.

The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.

A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.

Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.

Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.

Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.

With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.

Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.

Fox Sports first reported the agreement.

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.

The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.

"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."

Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com