By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Scoring twice in each of the first three innings, the Red Sox raced to a 6-0 lead, then added on later in the game to bash the Texas Rangers, 11-5, for their first win against the Rangers this season.
The Rangers had won the first four meetings of the season between the two and 10 of the last 12.
Adrian Gonzalez, who had homered once since July 7, belted two homers in the span of three at-bats, the first snapping a homerless streak that had reached 84 at-bats.
The Sox also got sacrifice flies from Marco Scutaro and Carl Crawford and run-scoring doubles from both Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway.
Marco Scutaro and Dustin Pedroia each added two-run doubles in the eighth to provide some breathing room.
The 10-run outburst equaled the number of runs the Red Sox had scored in their previous three games combined and marked the first since Aug. 6 that the Sox had reached double figures in runs scored.
John Lackey, staked to the early lead, had a hideous third inning in which he gave half the six-run lead back to the Rangers, but took the Sox into the seventh inning before giving way to the bullpen.
Lackey improved to 12-9 on the season as he recorded his seventh win in his last eight decisions. Lackey has lost just once since July 4.
Sean McAdam can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam.
The Pablo Sandoval redemption tour is underway as the former World Series MVP tries to revive his career after two disastrous seasons with the Red Sox organization.
In an interview with ESPN Deportes, he admits to being “complacent” during his first two seasons in Boston after signing a five-year, $95 million deal.
"My career had fallen into an abyss because I was so complacent with things that I had already accomplished," Sandoval said. "I did not work hard in order to achieve more and to remain at the level of the player that I am and that I can be."
After dealing Travis Shaw to the Brewers, Sandoval is expected to be the Red Sox primary third baseman in 2017.
"I am not taking anything for granted," he said. "I am here to work hard. I'm not thinking about the position or not. I am starting from scratch, and I am here to show what I can do on the field."
The 30-year-old says he’s following a “really strict routine” this offseason, and it shows. In a recent photo, Sandoval appears noticeably thinner. Sandoval says his wife giving birth to “Baby Panda” has served as inspiration.
"Watching 'Baby Panda' grow up and that he gets the opportunity to see his father play in the majors for seven, eight more years, to get back to the success I had, that's my motivation every day," Sandoval said. "The people that I surround myself with now and my family, they are the key to my success. This has been a life lesson."
Could John Henry sell ownership of the Boston Red Sox anytime soon, or does he want to keep winning? Shaughnessy, Merloni, and Tanguay debate.