Sox dump Reyes, activate Doubront, call up Aceves

191542.jpg

Sox dump Reyes, activate Doubront, call up Aceves

By Joe Haggerty
CSNNE.com

BOSTON In a direct response to the horrific 0-6 start thats completely stunned the Red Sox, they've done a double bullpen swap: They've switched out right-hander Matt Albers and left-hander Dennys Reyes for right-hander Alfredo Aceves and left-hander Felix Doubront.

Albers was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained lat muscle, and the strike-zone challenged Reyes was designated for assignment. Reyes' last appearance for the Red Sox, Wednesday in Cleveland, was horrific: He hit two batters and walked a third without recording an out, and all three runs wound up scoring as the Indians broke open a close (3-2) game.

Aceves was recalled from Pawtucket and Doubront, battled through some left elbow problems in spring training, was activated off the disabled list.

It was obviously a pretty short look for Reyes, said Francona. Its hard to have only one lefty in the bullpen when that pitcher's thats not throwing the ball over the plate. We love Doubront, but he wasnt ready to pitch when we left spring training. Getting Felix back is something were very excited about.

I know it was a short leash with Dennys, but we need to win some games.

Reyes had the lovable looks of El Guapo, but he posted a 16.20 ERA and 2.40 WHIP in four appearances as the Sox situational lefty, and thats about as bad it gets.

As for Albers, Francona indicated the move was precautionary.

He was warming up in Cleveland the other night and felt it," said the manager. "Then he sat down and warmed up again and felt pretty good. Then he felt it grabbing at him the next day, so we stayed away from him. I dont think he'll be sidelined terribly long, but the last thing we wanted to do was run him out there in the next day or two and really hurt him.

Aceves was excited to be facing the Yankees, the team that he pitched for last season, and that means his book on their hitters is still pretty fresh.

Theyre a good team. Everybody has skills and strengths over there, so you just have to dominate, said Aceves.

Joe Haggerty can be reached at jhaggerty@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Joe on Twitter at http:twitter.comHackswithHaggs

Sandoval’s offseason transformation doesn't guarantee he's Sox starting third baseman

Sandoval’s offseason transformation doesn't guarantee he's Sox starting third baseman

BOSTON - The weight room, as much as Instagram, has been Pablo Sandoval’s home in the offseason leading up to the 2017 season.

His change in diet and routine have clearly led to visible results, at least in terms of appearance. His play is yet to be determined. But his manager and teammates have taken notice.

“Compliments to Pablo,” John Farrell told reporters before Thursday’s BBWAA dinner. “He’s done a great job with the work that he’s put in, the commitment he’s made. He’s reshaped himself, that’s apparent. He knows there’s work to be done to regain an everyday job at third base. So, we’ll see how that unfolds. We’re not looking for him to be someone he’s not been in the past. Return to that level of performance.”

Farrell noted that Brock Holt and Josh Rutledge are the other two players in contention for time at third base and while others, such as prospect Rafael Devers, may get time there in the spring, those are the only three expected to compete for the job.

“The beauty of last spring is that there’s a note of competition in camp,” Farrell said. “And that was born out of third base last year [when Travis Shaw beat out Sandoval at the third base]. That won’t change.”

Sandoval's 2016 season ended after shoulder surgery in April. 

While the manager has to be cautiously optimistic, Sandoval’s teammates can afford to get their hopes up.

“Pablo is definitely going to bounce back,” Xander Bogaerts told CSNNE.com “Especially with the weight he’s lost and the motivation he has to prove a lot of people wrong, to prove the fans wrong.

“He’s been a great player for his whole career. He’s not a bad player based on one year. Playing in Boston the first year is tough, so, hopefully this year he’ll be better.”

Prior to Sandoval’s abysmal 2015, his first season in Boston, when he hit .245 with 47 RBI in 126 games, the 2012 World Series MVP was a career .294 hitter who averaged 15 home runs and 66 RBI a year.

If Bogaerts is right and Sandoval can be that player again, that will be a huge lift in filling in the gap David Ortiz left in Boston’s offense.

Scott's taste of big-league life with Red Sox has him hungering for more

Scott's taste of big-league life with Red Sox has him hungering for more

CHESNUT HILL -- The Red Sox Rookie Development Program is designed to help young players prepare for what playing at the major-league level is like,. That can be valuable for a prospect like Rafael Devers, who hasn’t even made it to Double-A.

But of the eight-man cast at the workout this year, there’s one guy who actually has major-league experience.

Robby Scott joined the Red Sox as a September call-up last season and turned some heads, holding opponents scoreless over six innings of work.

Now the lefty is back working with younger guys to prepare himself for spring training -- something he’s itching to get started.

“It’s one thing that we always talk about,” the left-handed reliever told CSNNE.com “It’s a tough road to get there, but it’s an even tougher and harder road to stay there. And having that taste in September last year was incredible to be a part of it.”

That taste Scott had last fall has only made the desire to rejoin Boston greater.

“Yeah, because now you know what it’s like,” Scott said CSNNE.com. “You see it and you’re there and you’re a part of it. And it’s like, ‘Man, I wanna be there.’ You’re a little bit more hungry.”

And his hunger to pitch with the Red Sox only becomes greater at an event like this where he’s the only one with MLB time.

“They ask on a consistent basis,” Scott started, “ ‘What’s it like?’ ‘What was it like getting there the first day?’ ‘How did the guys react?’ ‘What was it like dealing with the media?’

“That’s what this program is here for, just to kind of gives these guys a little taste of what it is like and get familiar with the circumstances.

While the experience and constant discussion invites players to try to do more in the offseason or change their routine, the 27-year-old has stayed the course, trusting what’s gotten him there.

“The offseason training stays the same, nothing really changes on that side of things,” Scott said. “Nothing changes. Go about my business the way I have the last six, seven years.”