While Red Sox principal owner John Henry's claim that he was fined 500,000 for remarks about baseball's revenue sharing system may seem like a fanciful exaggeration, it turns out that Henry was indeed socked with that figure, according to sources.
In Novemeber of 2009, in remarks supplied by e-mail simultaneously to CSNNE.com and The Boston Globe, Henry complained that too many teams were accepting revenue sharing from big-market clubs but failing to re-invest the money properly to produce a winner on the field. Henry decried the current revenue sharing system and expressed a wish that revenue sharing would be given a drastic overhaul in the next collective bargaining agreement.
Henry revealed Tuesday, in an interview on WEEI, that as a result of his comments, he was fined 500,000 by commisioner Bud Selig, who has placed a gag order on owners as negotiations for a new CBA draw closer.
A spokesperson for the commissioner's office offered no comment citing MLB policy on fines assessed by Selig. However, an industry source said the 500,000 cited Tuesday by Henry was "not inaccurate." The source was unsure whether a fine of that magnitude had been assessed before or since Henry's comments.
Last month Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner echoed some of Henry's complaints from 2009, and in a rare bit of fraternity with the rival Red Sox said the two American League superpowers were on the same page on the issue of revenue sharing.
It's likely that Steinbrenner and the Yankees were also fined for those remarks, though that could not be confirmed Tuesday.
Sean McAdam can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam
Never say never?
While Red Sox officials said at the team's annual Winter Weekend at Foxwoods on Saturday that they'd be traveling to the Dominican Republic to talk to David Ortiz about a role with the team, Pedro Martinez told WEEI he sees Big Papi returning to his old role - designated hitter - this season.
CSN's Trenni Kusnierek and WEEI's John Tomase talked to Martinez on their show Saturday at Foxwoods and Martinez said his old teammate would be making a comeback despite the long, emotional farewell tour last season.
For the full interview with Martinez, click here.
Red Sox executives Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and Dave Dombrowski made no mention of Ortiz returning as a player when talking about their Dominican trip. Ortiz has repeatedly said he is going to stay retired.
MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.
The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.
But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.
“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.
“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”
He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.
He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.
But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.
“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”