Selig, Weiner touch upon labor talks, more

191542.jpg

Selig, Weiner touch upon labor talks, more

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam
PHOENIX - In an extensive question-and-answer session with reporters Tuesday prior to the 82nd All-Star Game, commissioner Bud Selig and Major League Baseball Players Association executive director Michael Weiner addressed a number of topics, ranging from the ongoing labor talks to proposed rule changes.

Among the highlights:

Selig said the game's chief economic indicators are all trending upward, citing gross revenues, attendance, local TV ratings and advanced media.

"The game has never been this popular, said Selig.

Reports that MLB is considering a realignment with two 15-team leagues was highly premature, said the commissioner.

"I don't know where all those stories came from, said Selig. "If you're thinking about significant realignment, it will probably have to wait.

The current collective bargaining agreement expires in December and Selig labeled the talks with the union "ongoing and constructive . . . It's a far cry from our labor negotiations in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

Selig absolved Derek Jeter of any fault for deciding not to come to the All-Star Game, citing the physical and mental exhaustion associated with his pursuit of 3,000 hits.

"There isn't a player that I'm more proud of in the last 15 years than Derek Jeter, said Selig. "He's played the game like it should be played. He's been a better human being off the field than he's been a player on the field . . . I know why Derek Jeter isn't here and I think I would have made the same decision Derek Jeter did . . . Any suggestion that I or anybody else around here is unhappy with him is just false.

The proposal to move the All-Star Game to Wednesday to allow pitchers pitching on the final day of the first half to participate may have some merit, Selig said.

"It's something we'll review,'' he said. "We'll take a look at that.

On the matter of confrontations between umpires and players, managers and coaches, Selig agreed with Tigers manager Jim Leyland that "too much tension exists.

"We need to remove some of that tension, I don't think there's any doubt, said Selig.

Selig strongly hinted that the 2013 All-Star Game will be hosted at Citi Field in New York. Next year Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City will be the site of the game.

Selig backed the idea of an international draft, arguing that it would "level the playing field.

Selig suggested that increased use of instant replay would be minimal, with boundary calls -- on the foul lines -- the next to be examined.

Weiner indicated that labor talks, from the perspective of the Players Association were "professional, though little concrete had been accomplished.

Weiner indicated that the players would like to see an alignment of two 15-team leagues, but added that that issue was tied to regular-season scheduling, an expanded postseason field and perhaps a shortening of spring training.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam

Red Sox confident in Smith-less bullpen, plan no moves at this point

red-sox-carson-smith-052416.jpg

Red Sox confident in Smith-less bullpen, plan no moves at this point

BOSTON -- The loss of reliever Carson Smith for the rest of this season -- and the start of next year, too -- is potentially a significant blow for the Red Sox bullpen.

But both vice-president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski and manager John Farrell expressed confidence that the Sox can survive -- and even thrive -- without the hard-throwing right-handed reliever, who underwent Tommy John surgery Tuesday and will be sidelined until at least the middle of next season.

"Unfortunately, we really haven't had Carson much this year,'' noted Dombrowski, referring to the total of 2 2/3 innings Smith has pitched, "so our bullpen now has the ninth, eighth and seventh innings set with Craig [Kimbrel], Koji [Uehara] and [Junichi Tazawa]. [Matt] Barnes and Heath [Hembree] have both had opportunities to step up and pitched well for us. We'll continue to see if they do that.''

"I really like our bullpen,'' echoed Farrell. "We've had depth emerge with Hembree and Barnes, and we're able to distribute the workload evenly to protect Taz and Koji.''

But the Sox' high-leverage set-up crew features a 41-year-old (Uehara) and Tazawa, who has faltered badly in the August in each of the last two seasons because of overwork.

"I guess it's something we'll continue to watch,'' said Dombrowski. "There's still quite a bit of time before the [Aug. 1] trade deadline. So you continue to watch that. I feel comfortable with the way it is now, but we'll have to wait and see. We didn't anticipate this and that's really why we got Carson -- to give us more depth in case something did happen. But we'll continue to see what takes place.''

Dombrowski said it was too soon to begin exploring outside trade possibilities, given that talk doesn't intensify until after the draft in June.

"If something [else] were to happen,'' Dombrowski said, "I guess we'd be more aggressive. But right now, the way Barnes and Hembree (are pitching), along with [Robbie] Ross Jr. and [Tommy] Layne . . . we feel pretty good about our bullpen -- right now.''

"I really like our bullpen,'' noted Farrell. "We've had depth emerge with Hembree and Barnes and we're able to distribute the workload evenly to protect Taz and Koji.''

One possibile option could be taking a look at Joe Kelly in the bullpen. Kelly was sensational Saturday, allowing one hit in 6 2/3 innings in his first start back from a shoulder impingement. But it's long been thought that his stuff would translate well to the bullpen, and the Sox will have six starting pitchers when Eduardo Rodriguez returns.

"It's a great question, but it's not one I'll approach at this time,'' said Dombrowski. "We haven't specifically talked about putting Joe Kelly in the bullpen. But we're also aware that we're not going to use six starters.''

Smith is expected to miss the next 11-14 months, the typical recovery time from Tommy John surgery.

He was first injured on March 21, when he left the mound in Jupiter, Fla. during a Grapefruit League game. The diagnosis was a strained flexor muscle in the forearm, and he returned to action earlier this month. But he continued to experience discomfort, and a followup MRI Friday revealed a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament (UCL).

Dombrowski said "there was nothing at the time in March (that suggested a torn UCL). Flexor muscles, sometimes that leads to (torn UCL's). But not always. It's an alert that goes up in your mind when dealing with elbow. But you can't spend time obsessing about it, because then you wouldn't sleep on any night.''

Dombrowski said there were no red flags at the time of last December's trade with Seattle that Smith may be pre-disposed to this kind of injury with his cross-fire, three-quarters delivery.

"I think when you look at his delivery,'' acknowledged Dombrowski, "you'd say it's an unusual delivery. It's probably more apt to have injury. We had the medical information and we thought he'd be fine.''

Tuesday's Red Sox-Rockies lineups: Shaw sits out for first time all year

red-sox-travis-shaw-030716.jpg

Tuesday's Red Sox-Rockies lineups: Shaw sits out for first time all year

BOSTON -- For the first time since last season, Travis Shaw is not in the Red Sox' lineup.

Shaw, suffering from a minor left-hand injury, will sit out Tuesday night's game against Colorado, snapping a string of 76 consecutive starts. Josh Rutledge will play third base in his place.

The lineups:

ROCKIES:
Charlie Blackmon CF
Trevor Story SS
Nolan Arenado 3B
Mark Reynolds 1B
Carlos Gonzalez RF
Ryan Raburn DH
Gerardo Parra LF
Dustin Garneau C
DJ LeMahieu 2B
---
Jorge De La Rosa P

RED SOX:
Mookie Betts RF
Dustin Pedroia 2B
Xander Bogaerts SS
David Ortiz DH
Hanley Ramirez 1B
Chris Young LF
Jackie Bradley Jr. CF
Josh Rutledge 3B
Christian Vazquez C
---
David Price P

Red Sox bullpen takes a blow: Smith to undergo Tommy John surgery

bullpene1463957324143_3450k_1280x720_690675267713.jpg

Red Sox bullpen takes a blow: Smith to undergo Tommy John surgery

The Boston Red Sox' worst fears with Carson Smith have been realized: The reliever needs Tommy John surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

The Sox announced this morning that Smith will undergo the procedure today in New York.

Smith injured his elbow during spring training and was able to pitch in only three regular-season games after being activated on May 3. His loss will probably step up the team's efforts to acquire more bullpen help, as Smith was expected to reduce the workload on Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara as set-ups for closer Craig Kimbrel. In the short term, Matt Barnes and Heath Hembree will probably help in that role.