Schilling on Sox fall: 'More on Theo than Tito'

397284.jpg

Schilling on Sox fall: 'More on Theo than Tito'

On WEEI this morning, former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling discussed the monumental fall of the Red Sox this season and said the blame is "100 percent on the players."

He also defended manager Terry Francona, placing more fault on general manager Theo Epstein.

"I think more of it's on Theo than on Tito, anyway," said Shilling."The guy managing this team is the only guy that could keep them together. With another manager in this position right now, you'd have some in-fighting, big-time infighting going on, given what they're going through."

Schilling believes if the Red Sox to win both games in Baltimore they can use this stretch as motivation for the playoffs.

"They roll into the playoffs and say 'Okay, wait a minute. We just went through it. There's nothing we can go through that's worse than what we did.' "

Schilling also noted the season is not totally in the Red Sox' hands any more, not with the way the Rays are playing.

"Make no mistake about it . . . If you watch the way Tampa is playing, they're in the playoffs right now. Every pitch, every out, every move, every ball is October ball right now."

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.