Red Sox let go of coaching staff assistant Rob Leary

Red Sox let go of coaching staff assistant Rob Leary

By Maureen Mullen
CSNNE.com Follow @maureenamullen

BOSTON -- Rob Leary is the second Red Sox coach to be let go this week. Leary, who had been with the organization for 10 seasons, served the last two years as the major league coaching staff assistant.

Leary, 47, joined the Sox as a roving minor league catching instructor in 2002. From 2003 2009 he was the organizations minor league field coordinator before being promoted to the major league staff in November 2009. His contract was up at the end of the 2011 season and will not be renewed.

Im very disappointed, Leary said. Its disappointing having 10 years in the organization and not being able to continue. I feel like I had an exemplary work record and was able to work with all the players on the major league roster, from working with them in the low minor leagues and watching them develop and go on to the major league team. Im disappointed that I wont be able to see that through on the major league level. But I understand. Its been a great 10 years and I saw a lot of tremendous progress in the organization, from 2002 to 2009, when I joined the big league team.

I definitely intend to stay in baseball and have already been in contact with some teams. Id like to find the best situation and the most meaningful situation. Im looking forward to the next challenge.

Leary was a 12th-round pick of the Expos in 1986 and spent five seasons on Montreals organization. He coached in the Expos system from 1990 - 1995. He spent seven seasons coaching the Marlins organization, from 1995 2001, before joining the Red Sox.

In 2005, Leary received the Sox Edward F. Kenney player development award, recognizing the dedication, success, and work ethics of Red Sox baseball operations personnel.

With the Sox Leary was responsible for organizing spring training workouts, helping the coaching staff in all pregame on-field activities, assisting with advance scouting, and working on in-game assignments from former manager Terry Francona. Leary also served as first base coach at the end off the 2010 season when Ron Johnson had to leave the team at the beginning of August after his youngest child had been in a life-threatening accident.

Johnson was let go earlier this week. His contract was also up at the end of 2011 and is not being renewed. Johnson, with 12 seasons, and Leary, with 10 seasons, had the longest continuous tenures with the organization on the major league staff.

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter at http:twitter.commaureenamullen

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.