Notes: Weiland's debut ejection first since '08

191542.jpg

Notes: Weiland's debut ejection first since '08

By Jessica Camerato
CSNNE.com Follow @JCameratoNBA

By Maureen Mullen
CSNNE.com Follow @maureenamullen
BOSTON Right-hander Kyle Weiland made his major league debut Sunday afternoon against the Orioles.

It didn't last as long as he had hoped.

Weiland was ejected in the fifth inning for beaning Vladimir Guerrero after warnings had already been issued. He became the first player to be ejected in his debut game since Atlanta Braves pitcher Francisley Bueno on August 13, 2008 (source: David VincentSABR).

In 17 starts for Pawtucket, Weiland is 8-6, with a 3.00 ERA. He has allowed two or fewer runs in 14 of his outings. In his last 10 starts, he is 6-2 with a 2.33 ERA. In 93 innings, he has 99 strikeouts and 37 walks, a strikeouts-to-walks ratio of 2.68 and a strikeouts-per-nine innings ratio of 9.6.

Told him to enjoy himself because hell never have another day like this in his life, said Terry Francona before the game. He looked excited . . . thats the biggest thing, I guess. I want to look at him and see, 'Okay, is this guy here?' He actually had a really confident look. I felt good. Kind of fun to talk to him. Hes a nice kid.

Guys that try not to act excited, thats when you get a little worried, like I got this under control. Thats when you go, Oh. "

Weiland, 24, was the Sox fifth pick in the 2008 draft, out of Notre Dame. He wore uniform No. 70.

Jon Lester (10-4, 3.31 ERA) was named to the American League All-Star team on Sunday in place of Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez. Hernandez started on Sunday, which made him ineligible for the All-Star Game per Major League Baseball rules.

Lester is on the disabled list (strained lower latissimus muscle), though, and was replaced by Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Ricky Romero (7-8, 3.09 ERA). Since Hernandez was a player-elected All-Star, his replacement was selected in order of the next highest ranking pitcher who was not already on the team. Even though Lester cannot play, he will still attend the All-Star Game in Phoenix. He does not expect to be on the disabled list longer than 15 days and does not anticipate needing a rehab start either.

Daniel Bard threw a scoreless eighth inning, extending his scoreless inning streak to 19 13 innings in his last 18 appearances. It is the longest streak for a Red Sox reliever since Hideki Okajima tossed 20 23 scoreless innings in 2007.

Dustin Pedroia (2-for-5, 1 HR) also extended his hitting streak to 12 games. He is batting .347 (14R, 10 RBI) since June 29.

Right-hander Josh Beckett threw a side session Sunday with no ill effects on his left knee. He left his Friday start after five innings, with a mildly hyperextend left knee after slipping on the mound. He will be available to pitch in the All-Star Game on Tuesday.

Carl Crawford, on the disabled list since June 18 with a left hamstring strain, is expected to work out Thursday at Fenway Park, and then play left field Friday and Saturday for Triple-A Pawtucket. He will travel to Baltimore Sunday to meet the Red Sox, who'll arrive there Sunday night after their weekend series in Tampa, and be available to play Monday.

Jessica Camerato is on Twitter at http:twitter.com!JCameratoNBA

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter at http:twitter.commaureenamullen

Pedro Martinez tells WEEI Ortiz will make comeback this season

Pedro Martinez tells WEEI Ortiz will make comeback this season

Never say never?

While Red Sox officials said at the team's annual Winter Weekend at Foxwoods on Saturday that they'd be traveling to the Dominican Republic to talk to David Ortiz about a role with the team, Pedro Martinez told WEEI he sees Big Papi returning to his old role - designated hitter - this season.

CSN's Trenni Kusnierek and WEEI's John Tomase talked to Martinez on their show Saturday at Foxwoods and Martinez said his old teammate would be making a comeback despite the long, emotional farewell tour last season. 

For the full interview with Martinez, click here.

Red Sox executives Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and Dave Dombrowski made no mention of Ortiz returning as a player when talking about their Dominican trip. Ortiz has repeatedly said he is going to stay retired. 

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

sale-redsox.png

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.

Chris Sale.

The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.

But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.

“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.

“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”

He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.

He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.

But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.

“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”