Notes: Sox interested in Kerry Wood

191542.jpg

Notes: Sox interested in Kerry Wood

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Add Kerry Wood's name to the long list of set-up relievers in which the Sox have some interest, an industry source said.

Wood was not offered salary arbitration by the Yankees and would not require compensation.

The Sox engaged in trade talks with the Cleveland Indians for Wood at the July 31 deadline, but ultimately, the Yankees were prepared to take on more of Wood's remaining salary obligations and they dealt for him.

Wood pitched well for the Yankees and, despite not offering him arbitration, are interested in re-signing him.

On Thursday morning, the Red Sox will take part in the Rule V draft in which players not protected on the 40-man roster are eligible to be taken by other organizations for 50,000.

The players must then remain on the 25-man major league roster for the entire year, or be offered back to their original club at half that price.

Since Theo Epstein became general manager, the Red Sox have obtained Daniel Stern, Lenny DiNardo and Javier Lopez -- among others -- through the Rule V draft.

"We still haven't decided if we're going to take someone or not,'' said Epstein. "But if we do, we have a list of players prioritized for us.''

In recent years, the Sox have tended to concentrate on selecting pitchers over position players, operating on the theory that it's easier to nurse along a young pitcher as the 12th man on the staff than it is to carry a position player.

"That general rule still applies for us, for sure,'' said Epstein.

Among the minor leaguers exposed by the Red Sox include Pawtucket outfielder Bubba Bell and reliever Daniel Turpen, who was obtained in the deal that sent Ramon Ramirez to the San Francisco Giants.

"We'll probably have one player taken at least,'' said Epstein. "But the assessment is we'll probably get those guys back because they won't be ready to make a major league roster for an entire year.''

The Red Sox will be at 39 on their 40-man roster once the Carl Crawford signing is official, so they'll have one spot available.

The Sox met with Andrew Miller here, the pitcher they acquired from Florida before non-tendering last week, making him a free agent.

They are hopeful of re-signing Miller -- without the prospect of salary arbitrtion hanging over them. Since Miller was acquired, he's visited the Red Sox in Boston, been visited by some staff members and had newly-hired pitching coach Curt Young speak with him by phone.

"It's going pretty well,'' said Epstein of the nature of the talks. "We'll continue to talk to him. There's been good dialogue. We're continuing to get to know him and see if it's a good fit for both sides.''

The Boston Globe reported that Miller has also been talking with the San Francisco Giants.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.