Notes: Ortiz swipes a look at potential batting order

191542.jpg

Notes: Ortiz swipes a look at potential batting order

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- David Ortiz swiped a base Wednesday in the Red Sox' 6-1 exhibition loss to the Braves and, in the process, may have given tea leave-readers a hint about the Sox' batting order, currently being held secret by the team.

With first baseman Freddie Freeman not holding Ortiz on at first in the fourth inning, Ortiz took off for second and got there successfully.

Ortiz was told to run, because, according to Terry Francona, "if J.D.'s behind him, having that hole between first and second over there is something that J.D. really uses. We just want them to respect that hole a little bit."

It's been widely assumed Ortiz will bat sixth in the Boston batting order with Drew hitting seventh, and Francona's statement did nothing to discourage that.

Ortiz went 3-for-3 and is now hitting .625 this spring.

Brent Dlugach underwent an MRI on his dislocated left shoulder Wednesday morning and should have the results by Thursday morning.

"This is the first time I've done this," said Dlugach, who suffered the injury charging a popped-up bunt attempt Tuesday afternoon against Minnesota. "Obviously, hoping for good things. It didn't feel good, but once it got popped back into place, it felt a lot better."

Dlugach was in camp as a non-roster invitee, hoping to catch on as a utility infielder.

"Obviously, it frustrating," said Dlugach. "But it's one of those things. Stuff happens. It's not as much what happens as how you deal with it. I'm trying to go about it with a positive attitude. I'm hoping for good things and positive results."

Four years ago, Dlugach had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder and hopes "to use that experience to my advantage."

Dlugach has already begun some limited range-of-motion exercises and is icing the shoulder.

Lefty Hideki Okajima, who was rocked for four runs on five hits Sunday night against the Minnesota Twins, rebounded with an efficient 1-2-3 innings with two strikeouts. "Anytime you see Okie get swings and misses on his fastball," said Francona, "that pretty much tells you he's locating it." . . . The Sox aren't sending a lot of regulars to Tampa for their meeting with the Yankees on Friday night. Clay Buccholz will start, but the position players will include Daniel Nava, Darnell McDonald, Jed Lowrie, Ryan Kalish and Jason Varitek . . . Alex Wilson had a rough relief outing, walking four and allowing three runs, two of them earned. Wilson, a second-round pick from Texas A&M in 2009, is regarded as a possible future closer.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.