MLB creates 7-day DL for concussions

191542.jpg

MLB creates 7-day DL for concussions

By MaureenMullen
CSNNE.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. Major League Baseball and the players union announced a new set of rules Tuesday for dealing with concussions, including the creation of a new seven-day disabled list for players with concussions.

The protocols include:

Mandatory baseline testing for all players and umpires,
New steps for evaluating players who may have suffered a concussion,
New guidelines for returning to action.

That's good said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. Obviously they're trying to take care of the players. It seems, from first blush, like a common-sense decision, which is, if you're trying to take care of the players, that's good.

"If a guy has a concussion, you got to take care of him. You'd have to DL him, anyway."

The new guidelines go into effect on Opening Day. Each team will also have to designate a specialist who deals with mild brain injuries to evaluate players and umpires when necessary.

The new DL is in addition to the current 15- and 60-day DLs.

I just like the idea of a seven-day DL, said Rays manager Joe Maddon. A lot of times you get those tweener injuries and what happens is, you have a guy sitting on the bench for four or five days and youre playing a man short. Thats when you really chance getting somebody hurt. I like it.

I would have no problem if it was expanded for legitimate reasons. I think its a good timeframe. You get hung up short and its not time to DL somebody. You think they might be ready in a week. It tests your roster for sure, but youre definitely playing with 24. Im all for it.

"If its a concussion, itd normally take more than seven days, I would think, if youre truly going to pay attention to a head injury. I would imagine, off the top of my head, no pun intended, that its going to be a longer than a seven-day stint on the DL. I like the idea of the 7-day DL for that little thing thats bothering somebody that permits you to stay at full strength and not hurt somebody else in the process."

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter athttp:twitter.commaureenamullen

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.