Mild concussion may force Beckett to miss start

Mild concussion may force Beckett to miss start
February 28, 2011, 7:13 pm
Share This Post

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- For the last few years, Josh Beckett has had difficulty staying healthy throughout spring training.

In 2008, he had a muscle pull in his back that prohibited him from accompanying the Red Sox to Japan and delayed the start of his season. Then, in 2010, he was felled by the flu and missed about 10 days.

The bad luck continued Monday morning when Beckett was struck on the left side of his head by a fungo hit by staff member Ino Guerrero during batting practice.

"I bet you it felt like a bolt of lightning," said Terry Francona. "That's not really what you're expecting. It was just a fluke thing."

Beckett dropped to a knee and a team trainer came out to attend to him. He walked off the field under his own power.

Beckett was later examined by a team physician and was diagnosed with mild concussion syndromes. He was sent home to rest and will be evaluated again Tuesday.

"He's got a headache," said Francona. "He's been evaluated already. We'll get somebody to look at him tonight and then when he comes in tomorrow, we'll check on him again to see what level, if any, of a workout he can do or should do."

Beckett had been set to pitch Thursday against Philadelphia, but Francona said he was unsure whether he could make that scheduled outing.

Beckett watched the first two innings of the Red Sox' 7-6 win over the Minnesota Twins from the dugout before being sent home by Francona.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam