McDonald placed on DL; Reddick recalled

191542.jpg

McDonald placed on DL; Reddick recalled

By Maureen Mullen
CSNNE.com

DETROIT Darnell McDonald was placed on the disabled list Thursday because of a quad injury, with outfielder Josh Reddick getting called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to replace him on the roster.

McDonalds left quad is bothering him, according to manager Terry Francona. J.D. Drew is also sidelined for a few days with a sore right hamstring.

Tuesday night we pinch-ran McDonald for David Ortiz, in the ninth inning, Francona said. We put him in Wednesday in left field for Carl Crawford in the sixth inning and it got a little bit worse. Its not real bad. Saying that, we dont have J.D. for today. Were a little short, so we put McDonald on the disabled list, get him back to where hes feeling real good, and get him down playing a few games . . . then make some decisions. But we were getting a little thin.

Reddick was in the starting lineup for Thursdays matinee against the Tigers, playing right field and batting eighth. He went 3-for-5 with three RBI in the 14-1 romp over Detroit.

Talking about Reddick, who has been a streaky hitter so far in his career, Francona said it can take time for young hitters to make adjustments, relating a story from his own time in the minors:

Thats why you hear so often with kids in the minor leagues: OK ,lets give them 1,500 at-bats, then well figure out where they are. Because just over time sometimes you get better at things. I remember when I was in the minor leagues facing Steve Bedrosian, and hed throw a slider, knowing I couldnt lay off it. Couldnt lay off it, thinking, Im in trouble.' Then a couple years later, laying off it, kind of laughing thinking, 'I many not hit it but I may not swing at it. The repetition really helps unless you cant do it. Then it just ingrains in you you cant do it and you go get a job.

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter at http:twitter.commaureenamullen

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

yankees-aroldis-chapman.jpg

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.

The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.

A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.

Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.

Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.

Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.

With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.

Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.

Fox Sports first reported the agreement.

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.

The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.

"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."

Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com