Lackey lashes out at media getting too personal

191542.jpg

Lackey lashes out at media getting too personal

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam

UPDATED, 5:49 A.M. -- The non-sports site TMZ reported overnight Sunday that John Lackey has filed for divorce against his wife Krista, which may have prompted Lackey's outburst (see below).
NEW YORK -- In another bizarre postgame meltdown with the media, John Lackey again warned the media to stay out of his private life after the Red Sox' 7-4 extra-inning victory over the Yankees.

Lackey, more combative than usual with reporters, took issue with the first question which suggested he had survived a "rocky" first inning in which he allowed three runs to then pitch five-plus scoreless innings.

"Let's be honest -- one time," snapped Lackey.

After answering another question brusquely, Lackey went on a monologue.

"Let me tell you the truth," he began. "Thirty minutes before the game, I got a text message on my cell phone from one of you . . . somebody in the media . . . talking about personal stuff. And I shouldn't even be standing up here, having to deal with this.

"I'm sitting here listening to music. I don't know who got my phone number. That's over the line."

Asked if the text had come from someone covering the series, Lackey said: "We'll find out."

Asked by a reporter if the text message distracted him before his start, Lackey shook his head and mumbled: "It's unbelievable that I have to deal with this."

It appears that the text message in question was sent from a non-sports web site.

Earlier in the season, following a poor start in Toronto, a similarly agitated Lackey claimed: "Basically, everything in my life sucks right now."

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.