The Red Sox principal owner John Henry told WEEI'sThe Big Show that he was fined 500,000 by Major League Baseball for comments he made in 2009 about MLB's current financial system. Two years ago, Henry told the Boston Globe that "seven chronically uncompetitive teams, five of whom have had baseballs highest operating profits,"had recieved over 1 billion in the revenue sharing money. Even though Henry noted that his statements were validated by leaked documents about team profits, the MLB still took offense to the Henry's public comments and fined him. When asked about the fine while on The Big ShowTuesday,Henry replied, "Theres not much I can say, because the last time I made a comment, I was fined 500,000. The large markets arent allowed to give their opinions,"said Henry. "Did you know I was fined 500,000? . . . I made statements which turned out to be true, or at least there were various documents that were leaked after that. But anyway, the large clubs are not allowed to talk about it."Henry also made a point to talk about how the Red Sox received a letter from the MLB following the comments made by Hank Steinbrenner that voiced similar concerns about the revenue sharing system as well as noting that small-market teams are allowed to comment on Major League Baseball's economic system.
If you're upset with the way the Red Sox have played recently, well, David Price understands.
But things, he vows, will get better. And he adds that it's only when you've been in the deepest valley that you can appreciate the highest mountain.
Or something like that . . .
Times like this is what makes winning so special!! We will get through this...this is the time we need your support the most! #unity— David Price (@DAVIDprice24) June 28, 2016
After Eduardo Rodriguez's horrific performance Monday night against the Rays -- 11 hits and 9 earned runs allowed in 2 2/3 innings, leading to a 13-7 Red Sox loss to a team that entered the game riding an 11-game losing streak -- the Sox succumbed to the obvious and shipped him back to Pawtucket.
And they got no argument from Sean McAdam.
"I think this is the right move," CSN's Red Sox Insider told Dalen Cuff on Monday night's SportsNet Central. "Because, clearly, the step forward that [Rodriguez] took, however small, last week was more than wiped out and (he) regressed this evening the way he pitched. And things have to be worked out, both in terms of execution and his approach . . . "
In six starts this season covering 29 1/3 innings -- less than five innings a start -- Rodriguez has been, in a word, awful. His 1-3 record is bad enough, but couple that with an 8.59 ERA, an opponents' batting average of .315, a WHIP of 1.74 and nine home runs allowed (a rate that projects out to about 45 homers allowed in a 150-inning season), and you can see why a change had to be made.
“The bottom line is, [Rodriguez] is capable of more," said manager John Farrell.
But now comes the next question: Who replaces him? And that, noted McAdam, has no easy answer.
"What it means for the rotation going forward is completely uncertain," McAdam told Cuff. "In fact, (Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski) told us that there was no corresponding move. Of course, because this turn doesn't come up in the rotation for another five days with the off-day Thursday, it's not anything they need to address (immediately). And in all likelihood, they'll probably get somebody to pitch out of the bullpen here until that turn comes up."
So the Sox get five days to ponder a problem that seems, in many ways unsolvable.
"[There] aren't a lot of good candidates internally," McAdam noted, "and it's unlikely there's going to be any sort of trade . . . in the next four days to fill that spot
Three things we learned from the Boston Red Sox' 13-7 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays