Gonzalez hopes to see game action next week

191542.jpg

Gonzalez hopes to see game action next week

By MaureenMullen
CSNNE.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. All spring Adrian Gonzalez has maintained he has no timetable for his first Grapefruit League game. That changed Tuesday morning when, after taking batting practice on the field for the second time, Gonzalez said he hopes to get into his first game in a Red Sox uniform next week.

Wednesday I'll hit again on the field if everything feels good, he said. And see how it responds hitting back-to-back days. Right now, the plan is to take it easy on Thursday. I don't think I'm going to be off, but I'm going to back off and give it a rest so I can start planning out for some kind of game action next week sometime -- maybe even earlier, I don't know. Maybe next week some time."

Gonzalez said he has no plans to hit off a pitcher on the back field or at the minor-league complex, preferring to progress directly from BP to a game. He had surgery in October to clean up the labrum in his right (non-throwing) shoulder, originally injured when diving for a foul ball in May in Houston.

He said batting is not a concern, but diving for balls is.

"The biggest plan is for me to be able to dive after a ball on defense," he said. "That's the biggest thing, because I could hit last year, no problem. But I was limited in diving. That's the biggest reason I had it. It wasn't for my hitting. After I dove three or four times and everything flared up, it wasn't feeling good. You teach yourself to stop diving."

Manager Terry Francona is cautiously optimistic of seeing his new first baseman in a game soon.

I would say thats probably about right, yeah, he said. We always make the lineup up about three or four days ahead of time. Well look at it. Again, I dont want to start pushing. The last thing we want to do is play him too quick. When the medical people say he can play, then if he wants to play or he says hes ready, then well sit down and figure it out.

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter athttp:twitter.commaureenamullen

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.  

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with the team, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported.

Bradley, who turns 27 April 19, had his best season in 2016, hitting .267 with 26 homers and a league-best 29-game hitting streak. He also won his first Gold Glove. A Scott Boras client, Bradley isn’t eligible for free agency until 2020. 
 
Friday at 1 p.m. was the deadline to reach deals to avoid arbitration. 

Other arbitration-eligible Red Sox are infielders Xander Bogaerts and Brock Holt, left-handers Drew Pomeranz and Fernando Abad, right-handers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross and Tyler Thornburg and catcher Sandy Leon.