Depleted Sox show interest in Kevin Millwood

191542.jpg

Depleted Sox show interest in Kevin Millwood

By SeanMcAdam
CSNNE.com

BOSTON -- Desperate times call for desperate measures, so the Red Sox are exploring any number of options after placing two starters -- John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka -- on the disabled list in the span of 24 hours.

One veteran under consideration, a major-league source indicated Wednesday night, is righthander Kevin Millwood. The Sox were said to be inquiring whether Millwood would be willing to first pitch in Pawtucket, giving the Red Sox a chance to evaluate him further.

Peter Gammons of NESN was the first to report the team's interest in Millwood.

Millwood, 36, signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees and spent April in their system, going 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA. But when the Yankees didn't add him to their major-league roster on May 1, Millwood used an opt-out clause in his contract and went home.

In 14 seasons with five clubs in the big leagues, Millwood is 159-137 with a career 4.11 ERA.

Reports had Millwood only hitting in the mid-80s with his fastball while in the Yankees' system. Last year, he was 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA pitching for the Baltimore Orioles.

Millwood is represented by Scott Boras, and until the Yankees expressed an interest in signing him in late March, received little in the way of offers from other clubs.

The team might also be keeping an eye on Armando Galarraga, who was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks. If Galarraga clears waivers, as expected, he could be another depth option, though if he didn't pitch well in the N.L. West which features pitcher-friendly ballparks, it's uncertain how he'd fare in the much tougher American League East.

The Sox would have already promoted Felix Doubront to Boston from Pawtucket had he not been on the disabled list with a groin pull. Doubront is close to being activated, but will need time to begin throwing. A club source said Doubront might be ready to contribute within two weeks.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com.Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

yankees-aroldis-chapman.jpg

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.

The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.

A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.

Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.

Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.

Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.

With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.

Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.

Fox Sports first reported the agreement.

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.

The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.

"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."

Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com