Beltre signs with the Rangers

191542.jpg

Beltre signs with the Rangers

Former Red Sox third baseman, Adrian Beltre has accepted a deal with the Texas Rangers. The six-year deal will be worth a total of 96 million. According to the Associated Press, Beltre will receive 14 million in 2011, 15 million in 2012, 16 million in 2013, 17 million in 2014, 18 million in 2015, and 16 million in 2016. TheRanger also have the option to void the last year of the contract if Beltre fails to reach 1,200 at bats in the 2014-2015 combined seasons or 600 in 2015. Last year with the Sox, Beltre finished the year with 28 homeruns and led the league in doubles. Beltre also made the All-Star team and won his second Silver Slugger Award. According to Ben Nicholson of MLB Trade Rumors.com, current third baseman Michael Young said that he was willing to move from third if the Rangers acquired Beltre.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.