Rask out 4-6 weeks with strain, Bruins sign Marty Turco

675118.jpg

Rask out 4-6 weeks with strain, Bruins sign Marty Turco

TORONTO The Bruins have made their moves with the goaltending situation after Tuukka Rask went down with injury last weekend.

First the Bruins announced that Rask will miss 4-6 weeks with a strained groinstrained abdomen suffered in the second period of Saturdays loss to the Islanders, and that puts into question his availability for the rest of the postseason.

But Rask avoided any potential knee injuries and wont need surgery for his legmidsection woes to heal properly.

Then the Bruins knocked down their second domino: they signed veteran netminder Marty Turco to a one-year contract for the remainder of this season. The 36-year-old Turco last played in the NHL for the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2010-11 season, and played 10 games for EC Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian Hockey League earlierthis season mixed in with some television analysis for the NHL Network and TSN in Canada.

Turco will have to clear through waivers a la Evgeni Nabokov last season who was scooped up by the New York Islanders when the Detroit Red Wings were desperate to sign him -- and would join the Bruins on Wednesday if the rest of the NHL takes a pass on the veteran goaltender Boston desperately needs to land.

The big question will be what kind of game shape Turco is in when he arrives in Boston hoping to give Thomas ample rest with 18 games remaining in the regular season for the Bs. The pairing of the 36-year-old Turco and the soon-to-be 38-year-old Thomas also gives the Bruins one of the oldest goaltending tandems in franchise history.

The veteran netminder will not be eligible for the Stanley Cup playoff roster since he was signed following the NHL All-Star break. Turco won a Stanley Cup title with the Dallas Stars and is 273-65-43 in 538 career games for Dallas and Chicago with a .910 save percentage and a 2.35 goals against average. Turco put up an 11-11-3 record with a 3.02 GAA and an .897 save percentage in his final NHL season with the Blackhawks.

Its anticipated that Rask could be back by the end of the regular season to serve as Tim Thomas backup once the playoffs start, but its also expected that Thomas will be making every start for the Black and Gold in the postseason.

Carson Smith 'had to take a step back' in recovery from Tommy John

red-sox-carson-smith-052416.jpg

Carson Smith 'had to take a step back' in recovery from Tommy John

Neither set-up man the Red Sox traded for under president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, Tyler Thornburg and Carson Smith, is throwing off a mound presently.

Smith, on his way back from Tommy John surgery, felt soreness after throwing a bullpen session and is back to doing long toss. 

"He’s had to slow down," Sox manager John Farrell said Thursday. "Once he got on the mound with some aggression and good intensity, was throwing the ball well. And as a result there’s been some soreness that has kind of reared its head. So have had to back him off, back into long toss, he’s thrown out to about 110 feet here today. We’re hopeful that in the very near future that mound progression resumes.

"The unique thing about Tommy John recovery is that every situation is going to be different. In this case, we’ve had to take a step back a little bit and get back to flat ground."

Smith is in Boston as part of a previously scheduled meet-up with the team, Farrell said. When the season began, Smith was rehabbing in Florida. He was put on the 60-day disabled list on Thursday, a formality that opened up a 40-man roster spot for new acquisition Chase d'Arnaud.

Smith was put on the disabled list on April 3, so he can return June 2 at the earliest, but may now need more time.

Thornburg (right shoulder impingement) is building up his long-toss distance.

In other injury news, Brock Holt (vertigo) may begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday or Saturday, Farrell said.

Despite series lead, Celtics lament their inability to hit open shots

Despite series lead, Celtics lament their inability to hit open shots

BOSTON – There are many factors you can point to in the regular season as indicators of what may happen when two NBA  teams meet in the playoffs.

You don't have to be inside the Chicago Bulls' locker room to know that when it comes to the Celtics, they were fully prepared to face a team that took a lot of 3's but wasn’t necessarily shooting them at a high percentage. 
 
That reality has certainly come into focus in Boston’s first-round series against the Chicago, one the C’s lead 3-2 as they continue to try and 3-point shoot their way on to the next round – without giving a damn how many long-range shots it takes to get the job done. 

In five playoff games, Boston is shooting 45.3 percent from the field, which puts them in the middle of the pack (eighth overall) among the 16 teams that qualified for the postseason.
 
But when it comes to the long ball, they are on the back-nine of playoff teams, ranking 10th while shooting 32.4 percent from 3-point range while leading all postseason clubs with 38.7 3-point attempts per game.

In the regular season, the Celtics ranked 16th in field-goal percentage (.454) and 14th in 3-point shooting (35.9 percent) while attempting 33.4 3's per game, which trailed only Houston (40.3) and Cleveland (33.9) this season.  

Boston's shooting from the field mirrors what it did in the regular season, but they know all too well that their shooting percentage in this series should be much higher due to the high number of open shots they have missed. 
 
Take a look at Game 5.
 
In the 108-97 win, the Celtics shot an impressive 53.1 percent when their shots were contested.
 
But let the Bulls have a defensive breakdown like a failed switch, or a guy gets beat for what turns into a great opportunity for Boston to score with no resistance, and instead of burying the open shot, the Celtics have  consistently blown those opportunities. That’s evident by the C’s connecting on just 30.8 percent (12-for-39) of their uncontested field-goal attempts in Game 5.
 
Even the usually reliable Isaiah Thomas had issues making uncontested shots in Game 5 and this series as a whole.
 
He had 24 points and shared game-high scoring honors with Avery Bradley on Wednesday night, but Thomas probably should have led everyone outright in scoring when you consider he had five open shots and wound up missing four of them.
 
That’s why when it comes to Boston’s offense, the last thing Thomas or any of his teammates complains about is getting the shots they want.
 
“I’ve been getting good open looks,” he said. “My teammates have been getting me open. We just got to knock down the shots. Coach [Stevens] keeps saying one day soon we’re going to knock down the open shots that we are missing and it might be [Game 6].”