Pierce on Garnett: 'I tell him all the time he should shoot more 3s'

628428.jpg

Pierce on Garnett: 'I tell him all the time he should shoot more 3s'

BOSTON When you beat a team by 36 points, chances are pretty good that there will be a few out-of-the-ordinary scoring moments.

Near the end of the second quarter in Boston's 100-64 win over Toronto, Kevin Garnett had the ball with just a few ticks on the clock.

So he did what seemingly came natural -- he raised up for a 3-pointer and knocked it down, the kind of shot that we seldom see Garnett take, let alone make.

It was just his fifth made 3-pointer -- out of 30 attempts -- since joining the Celtics in 2007.

That means Garnett has connected on just 16.7 percent of his 3s with the Celtics.

He had a higher 3-point percentage in Minnesota, but not that much higher.

In his 12 seasons with the Timberwolves, Garnett shot 28.8 percent on 3s.

So as you can imagine, Doc Rivers isn't quite ready to see Garnett launching 3s like Ray Allen or Paul Pierce.

When asked about Garnett's 3-point shooting and how he may look to shoot more in the future, Rivers quipped, "it's the worst thing that could have happened."

It's not that unusual for Garnett to pull up for 3s in practice -- and actually make them.

And if you look at his 16-plus seasons in the NBA, Garnett took a decent number of 3s every year while in Minnesota.

"I tell him all the time he should shoot more 3s," said Paul Pierce. "I see him take 3s all the time in practice and he knocks them down consistently. He shoots a lot of his long range two-pointers are almost near the (three-point line) so it's only one step back. He has that kind of range."

Wojnarowski: C's, Pacers talking Nets pick for George

Wojnarowski: C's, Pacers talking Nets pick for George

Often times reporting something can shake something loose from another source. That might have been the case Thursday morning. 

Just eight minutes after Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that the Celtics and Pacers were not in advanced discussions on Paul George because of Boston’s unwillingness to deal the Nets’ 2017 first-round pick, he sent a follow-up saying sources had indicated that the pick was indeed in play. 

George, 26, will be a free agent after the 2017-18 season. 

O'Connor: Zizic would go top-10 in 2017 draft

O'Connor: Zizic would go top-10 in 2017 draft

It seems the Celtics can throw yet another piece onto their treasure trove of assets. 

The Celtics stashed two of their first-round picks from the 2016 draft overseas and in the process have seen 23rd overall pick Ante Zizic establish himself as a very promising NBA prospect. 

The Croatian center, currently playing in the Turkish League, has boosted his stock with a strong season in what’s expected to be his last before joining the Celtics. Appearing on Toucher and Rich Thursday morning, The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor said that Zizic has improved to the point that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft. “He looks really good,” O’Connor said. “I liked him last year when I first watched him. I thought, ‘Good energy big man. He’ll have a solid career,’ but then the more you watch him, the more you see. 

“This year, he’s really taken a step forward. All his strengths look better. All the things he was already good at like screening, rebounding and rim-protection, he looks better. But he’s also starting to flash a little bit of a mid-range jumper, and he’s never had bad mechanics, but now that shot’s starting to fall. So maybe he can be more than that energy big man. Maybe he’s a little bit more dynamic than that. 

“If I’m the Celtics, I value him as you’re getting a top-10 pick this yea. I think he’d go around nine or 10 in this draft.”