Haynesworth not (yet) suspended, returns in pads

175736.jpg

Haynesworth not (yet) suspended, returns in pads

By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com Celtics Insider
Follow @sherrodbcsn
FOXBORO There was an Albert Haynesworth sighting -- in pads -- at the New England Patriots' practice on Tuesday.

But it remains a mystery as to when the All-Pro will actually play in a game for the Pats.

In the past, it has been his health and conditioning at issue. Now, it's a potential suspension by the NFL that is of a greater concern.

Haynesworth, who spent the last two seasons with the Washington Redskins, was in Washington on Monday where he entered a plea of no contest on simple assault charges stemming from an incident at a D.C. hotel on Feb. 13 in which he was accused of fondling a waitress' breast as he slid his credit card into her blouse.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked about potential punishment for Haynesworth.

"Whatever the league does, they'll announce," Belichick said.

By entering the no contest plea to the lesser charge, Haynesworth avoided a sexual abuse trial in which he could have been looking at potential jail time.

As part of Hayneworth's plea agreement, he will serve 160 hours of community service. If he completes his community service and stays trouble-free for 18 months, prosecutors have agreed to drop the charges. In addition, the Washington Post reported that Haynesworth also agreed to an alcohol abuse assessment and a psychological assessment as part of the plea deal.

The sexual abuse case was just the latest setback for Haynesworth, who has missed the bulk of preseason practice, keeping him from becoming familiar with the Patriots system.

"It helps every player to be out there in practice," Belichick said. "If it didn't, why would we practice?"

The 30-year-old Haynesworth is with his third NFL team, having spent the past nine seasons with Tennessee (2002-2008) and Washington (2009-2010).

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at sblakely@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http:twitter.comsherrodbcsn

Easley on character concerns: 'It's all rumors' until sources step forward

easley.jpg

Easley on character concerns: 'It's all rumors' until sources step forward

When Dominique Easley was released by the Patriots this spring, it wasn't because he wasn't productive when he was on the field. In fact, on a per-snap basis, he was one of the most productive interior pass-rushers in the league last season, according to Pro Football Focus. 

Instead, there were some off-the-field factors, as well as injury concerns, that led to the Patriots choosing to cut ties with their 2014 first-round pick. 

As our Patriots Insider Tom E. Curran put it, there were "philosophical differences" between Easley and the team.

Other, more scathing reports of Easley's impact in New England were released, including one report from the Boston Globe that included a quote from a former teammate saying he was a "locker room cancer."

Since then, Easley has landed with the Rams and has a chance to contribute to one of the most talented defensive lines in football. In an interview on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Phil Savage and Amber Theoharis, Easley said he hopes that his new team will get to see that he's a better person than some have indicated.

"Just really," Easley said, "just hopefully that the Rams get to see what a great person and a great hardworker I am, and really, just a great person."

Easley went on to say that he's not sure who would speak of him negatively or why. He explained that it's not his "main goal" to prove there's nothing to worry about with his character, but clearly it's somewhere on the list. 

"There's been, obviously, stuff said about me," Easley said. "We don't know where it came from. I would say the person doesn't want to come out and say it, neither. As far as I know, it's all rumors until that person comes out and say that it was from them, and they can prove that they actually know who I am, or been around me long enough to know who I am and how I am as a person."

PFT: NFL plans to interview Manning about Al Jazeera PED allegations

broncos-peyton-manning-012016.jpg

PFT: NFL plans to interview Manning about Al Jazeera PED allegations

Peyton Manning is retired, but that doesn't mean he's exempt from the interviews that the NFL plans to conduct as it looks into the allegations made by Al Jazeera's December PED documentary. 

It was reported last week by USA Today that the league's senior vice president of labor policy and league affairs Adolpho Birch informed the NFLPA that players named in Al Jazeera's report would be interviewed in July. 

Among those scheduled to be interviewed are Packers linebackers Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews and Steelers linebacker James Harrison. Former Packers linebacker Mike Neal will also be interviewed.

(Harrison has taken issue with the league's request, and said on social media that he would only meet with the league if commissioner Roger Goodell showed up to his home.)

Manning was not mentioned in the letter obtained by USA Today detailing the league's interview plans, but Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk followed up on Monday to see if the NFL intended to speak with Manning. It does.

The former Broncos and Colts quarterback has been very vocal about just how strongly he denies Al Jazeera's claim that his wife, Ashley, received HGH for his use. Despite the fact that he's no longer playing, it will come as no surprise if, given his stance, Manning cooperates fully with the league as it seeks more information regarding the report. 

As Florio points out, if Manning hopes to return to the NFL at some point as an executive -- as many believe he will -- this is something he'll want to put to bed beforehand. That process will start with an interview.