Offers exchanged as owners, players continue CBA discussion

936459.jpg

Offers exchanged as owners, players continue CBA discussion

The NHL and NHLPA might not get a CBA done on Wednesday, but theres no denying that cautious optimism abounds.
Phrases like cautiously optimistic and wait and see attitude best described NHL players contacted by CSNNE.com as they wait on the sidelines with close to 20 NHL players and a group of six owners hammering out a possible deal at the Westin Hotel in New York City.
All of this has taken place with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr removed from the negotiating process, but Bettman did issue a few quick words of enthusiasm about the current process.
Bettman said he was pleased with the process that is ongoing, and that out of respect for the process he had no further comment on negotiations between owners and players.
In other words, silence is golden while the owners and players hash out the concepts, and let the lawyers draw up the fine details.
According to multiple reports out of NYC, the players submitted a written offer of sorts to the group of owners that has continued discussion between the two parties in meetings that lasted into the evening on Wednesday. Its expected that the league is seeking a long term CBA somewhere in the range of a 10-year deal, but certainly wants more than the five that the NHLPA had most recently proposed.
Its expected the two sides are working to find common ground on the make whole provision and player contract rights, but a source indicated to CSNNE.com that both sides are still haggling over term limits on player contracts. The NHL wants to cap all contracts at five years, and the NHLPA has stood firmly against limitations for long term deals currently enjoyed by franchise players like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.
So as the two sides haggle over the small details and fine print, lets think about the potential finished product.
Its widely believed the NHL wants to produce a finished CBA on Friday with training camps set to start a few days later. That would allow the NHL to produce a 56-60 game schedule starting onaround Dec. 20 with a full round of Stanley Cup playoffs sure to soothe the savage, bitter hockey fan. Some NHL coaches and GMs were even overzealously contacting players in Europe and telling them to come home, according to Nick Kypreos, but that would seem to be a little premature at this point in time.
The two sides continue to exchange ideas, speak in separate groups and then return for more discussions as it appears, finally, that everybody involved isnt going to stop until they have a completed CBA.

Kraft on possible Patriots reunion with Revis: 'I would love it'

Kraft on possible Patriots reunion with Revis: 'I would love it'

It was reported last week that multiple NFL executives are convinced that Darrelle Revis will return to the New England Patriots next season.

Talking with the New York Daily News, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he’d be open to a reunion with the 31-year-old cornerback.

“I would love it,” Kraft said. “Speaking for myself, if he wanted to come back, he’s a great competitor, I’d welcome him if he wanted to come.”

Asked if the team has had discussions with Revis, Kraft said “ask my boy,” in reference to coach Bill Belichick.

Revis spent the 2014 season with the Patriots, helping them win Super Bowl XLIX. He bolted back to the New York Jets the next season, signing a five-year, $70 million contract ($39 million guaranteed).

The Jets released Revis earlier this month after the incident in Pittsburgh. A judge dismissed the charges.

Kraft says intention is not to trade Butler: 'We hope he's with us'

Kraft says intention is not to trade Butler: 'We hope he's with us'

PHOENIX -- The idea that Malcolm Butler could be traded by the Patriots before the start of the 2017 season has been floated for weeks. But if Robert Kraft had his way, he'd like for the hero of Super Bowl XLIX to stick around. 

At the Biltmore hotel on Day 2 of the league's annual meetings, Kraft was asked if he anticipated having Butler back in New England for next season.

"I sure hope so," he said. "We have [a first-round tender] out to him, and I know he has the ability to go out in the market and get someone to sign him, and then we either match it or get the first-round draft pick.

"I'm rooting, I hope, he's with us and signs his offer sheet and plays for us. I have a great affection for him. He was part of probably the greatest play in the history of our team, but there are a lot of people involved in that."

The Patriots can't trade any player who isn't under contract, and they can't talk about a trade for a player not on their roster. Therefore, even if the Patriots hoped to deal Butler and get something in return for the Pro Bowl-caliber corner before he hits unrestricted free agency in 2018, it's not something that the owner of the team would be at liberty to discuss with dozens of microphones in front of his face. 

The tender offer of $3.91 million for one season is still out there for Butler. He could sign it and play in New England. He could sign it and be traded. For now, Kraft says he's hoping for the former -- and insists that the Patriots didn't have designs on the latter all along.

"I don't want to, in any way, take away from his rights [as a restricted free agent]," he said, adding, "I want to be clear. I hope he's with us."