NHL cancels games through Jan. 14

932535.jpg

NHL cancels games through Jan. 14

Just in time for Christmas, the NHL has made what might prove to be the final round of regular season segment cancellations on Thursday.

The NHL announced they have cancelled the 2012-13 NHL schedule through Jan. 14 and its expected any further cancellation announcements will include the entire hockey season. That gives the NHL and NHLPA a do-or-die date of around Jan. 15 to work out a deal, or the league could experience a crippling second entire season cancellation in the last eight years.

A total of 625 regular season games have been cancelled from Oct. 11 through Jan. 14 a span that has wiped out 50.8 percent of the regular season. Per Pulver Sports analyst Daniel Tolensky, the NHL has cancelled an amazing 17.7 percent of their regular season games since 2004 a figure that means theyve cancelled roughly one out of every five regular season games due to lockoutlabor issues over the last eight years.

One thing to keep in mind, however: the NHL was going to re-work the regular season schedule no matter what as they whittle things down to a 48-game shortened regular season. So if the NHL and NHLPA can find common ground for a CBA agreement, the 2012-13 regular season could begin in early January after a post-Christmas training camp.

Another thing to keep in mind: the 1994-95 NHL season opened their 48-game shortened schedule on Jan. 21, thought the NHL has maintained that they wont wait so long to make a decision this time.

The NHLPA is currently undergoing a week-long vote among their 700 plus members on allowing their leadership to file a disclaimer of interest that would effectively dissolve the players union. The disclaimer of interest could allow the players to file anti-trust lawsuits against the league or allow the league to cancel all current player contracts depending on possible rulings in federal court.

Kraft on possible Patriots reunion with Revis: 'I would love it'

Kraft on possible Patriots reunion with Revis: 'I would love it'

It was reported last week that multiple NFL executives are convinced that Darrelle Revis will return to the New England Patriots next season.

Talking with the New York Daily News, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he’d be open to a reunion with the 31-year-old cornerback.

“I would love it,” Kraft said. “Speaking for myself, if he wanted to come back, he’s a great competitor, I’d welcome him if he wanted to come.”

Asked if the team has had discussions with Revis, Kraft said “ask my boy,” in reference to coach Bill Belichick.

Revis spent the 2014 season with the Patriots, helping them win Super Bowl XLIX. He bolted back to the New York Jets the next season, signing a five-year, $70 million contract ($39 million guaranteed).

The Jets released Revis earlier this month after the incident in Pittsburgh. A judge dismissed the charges.

Kraft says intention is not to trade Butler: 'We hope he's with us'

Kraft says intention is not to trade Butler: 'We hope he's with us'

PHOENIX -- The idea that Malcolm Butler could be traded by the Patriots before the start of the 2017 season has been floated for weeks. But if Robert Kraft had his way, he'd like for the hero of Super Bowl XLIX to stick around. 

At the Biltmore hotel on Day 2 of the league's annual meetings, Kraft was asked if he anticipated having Butler back in New England for next season.

"I sure hope so," he said. "We have [a first-round tender] out to him, and I know he has the ability to go out in the market and get someone to sign him, and then we either match it or get the first-round draft pick.

"I'm rooting, I hope, he's with us and signs his offer sheet and plays for us. I have a great affection for him. He was part of probably the greatest play in the history of our team, but there are a lot of people involved in that."

The Patriots can't trade any player who isn't under contract, and they can't talk about a trade for a player not on their roster. Therefore, even if the Patriots hoped to deal Butler and get something in return for the Pro Bowl-caliber corner before he hits unrestricted free agency in 2018, it's not something that the owner of the team would be at liberty to discuss with dozens of microphones in front of his face. 

The tender offer of $3.91 million for one season is still out there for Butler. He could sign it and play in New England. He could sign it and be traded. For now, Kraft says he's hoping for the former -- and insists that the Patriots didn't have designs on the latter all along.

"I don't want to, in any way, take away from his rights [as a restricted free agent]," he said, adding, "I want to be clear. I hope he's with us."