Two late goals sink Revs in San Jose


Two late goals sink Revs in San Jose

Special to

SANTA CLARA, Calif. Ellis McLoughlin and Bobby Convey scored 12 minutes apart late in the second half to give the San Jose Earthquakes a 2-1 win over the New England Revolution Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium.

McLoughlin opened the scoring with a well-placed header in the 71st minute just four minutes after entering the game as a second-half substitute while Convey converted what proved to be the game-winning strike from a set piece in the 83rd minute.

Chris Tierney scored his second career goal in the 86th minute to pull the Revs (3-4-4, 13 points) within one in the closing stages, but the late comeback fell short as the Earthquakes (3-4-3, 12 points) secured their second consecutive home victory.

For the first time this season, Revolution coach Steve Nicol named an unchanged starting lineup after his side claimed a 1-0 win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC last weekend. Unavailable once again was the injured trio of Ousmane Dabo (R adductor strain), Didier Domi (L quad strain) and Marko Perovic (L knee sprain).

The Revs controlled possession in the very early stages, but it was San Jose which created the games first scoring chance in the seventh minute. Steven Lenhart teed up Joey Gjertsen for a drive from the top of the box, forcing Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis into a smart save.

Reis had the crossbar to thank for keeping the game scoreless in the 13th minute, when Khari Stephensons clever free kick eluded the wall and crashed off the woodwork.

Shalrie Joseph returned the pressure by testing Earthquakes goalkeeper Jon Busch with a knuckling drive in the 25th minute, but the veteran netminder was alert to punch the shot away.

New England continued to gain a foothold as the first half progressed and had legitimate appeals for a penalty waved away in the 37th minute when Tierney appeared to be taken down in the box as he shaped to shoot. No foul was given, however, and the teams went into the halftime break scoreless.

After finishing the first half with a surge, the Revs began the second half in a similar vein and threatened again in the 56th minute. Benny Feilhaber linked up with Joseph outside the box and the captain slipped a pass into the right side of the area for Rajko Lekic, whose quick shot was easily handled by Busch.

Despite holding the upper hand through large parts of the match, the Revs eventually conceded the opener in the 71st minute as they saw their 283-minute shutout streak come to an end. MLS 2010 Golden Boot winner Chris Wondolowski was the provider as his right-wing cross found McLoughlin at the back post for a free header, which he guided back across the face of goal and inside the right post.

Wondolowski almost put his own name on the score sheet in the 79th minute when his blistering shot from 20 yards out whistled past the right post, but Convey one-upped his teammate with a fantastic finish to double the Earthquakes lead four minutes later. Convey seemed likely to cross from a free kick toward the right touchline, but instead whipped a vicious shot into the far upper corner as it kissed off the left post.

Tierney pulled one back for the Revolution with a curling free kick in the 86th minute expertly bending the ball around the wall and inside the left post but the goal proved to be mere consolation as a frantic late push failed to result in an equalizer.

The Revs will return to action on Wednesday, May 25, when they visit Sporting Kansas City for a U.S. Open Cup play-in match at the Blue Valley District Activities Complex in Overland Park, Kan. The Revolutions league schedule will resume on Saturday, May 28, when the club hosts the LA Galaxy at Gillette Stadium.

Revs deny Toronto opportunity to clinch best record with 2-1 victory


Revs deny Toronto opportunity to clinch best record with 2-1 victory

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - Lee Nguyen and Kei Kamara scored late goals and the New England Revolution, with a 2-1 win, denied Toronto FC an opportunity to clinch the Supporters' Shield on Saturday.

Kamara scored the go-ahead goal in the 87th minute with a header off Nguyen's cross. The Revs (11-14-5) avoided playoff elimination and extended their undefeated streak at home against Toronto FC (18-5-8) to six games. Toronto has three matches remaining to clinch the Shield with a magic number of three points.

Nguyen opened the scoring for New England in the 82nd minute with his 50th career goal, taking Chris Tierney's lead pass from midfield and finishing through a defensive deflection.

Toronto FC's Nicolas Hasler answered two minutes later with a right-footed volley of Michael Bradley's diagonal cross.

Forwards Sebastian Giovinco and Jozy Altidore missed the match for Toronto FC, both due to lower body tightness.


Revs announce Heaps’ firing, name Soehn interim coach


Revs announce Heaps’ firing, name Soehn interim coach

Tom Soehn will take over as interim coach of the New England Revolution for the remaining five matches of the MLS season after the team confirmed the firing of Jay Heaps with an announcement on Tuesday.

Ives Galarcep of Goal USA was first to report Heaps’ firing on Monday. 

The decision to move on from Heaps comes after two back-to-back losses, one of which was a 7-0 defeat at the hands of Atlanta United. New England is 10-14-5 and in eighth place in the Eastern Conference. The Revs next play Saturday at 5 p.m. against Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium. 

Heaps had been the Revs head coach since 2011, the longest tenure in team history, and was 75-81-43 in the regular season. He also led the Revs to the MLS Cup Final in 2014 where they lost to the LA Galaxy.

“Jay has done a great deal for the club over the years and had considerable achievements. I have great respect for him and wish him well in the next steps of his career,” said Revs general manager Michael Burns. “This decision has not been taken lightly, however, we need to do better than the results have shown from the last couple of seasons and this season left us convinced we need to go in a different direction.”

Heaps has been a central figure in 15 of the Revolution's 22 seasons in MLS, including nine years as a defender for the team from 2001-09. He played a part in all five of the Revolution's Eastern Conference championships, four as a player, and helped lead them to the U.S. Open Cup Final on three occasions, including the club's victory in 2007.
“Jay gave the club his all as a player and coach, and we are thankful to him for all his passion and hard work,” said Revs team president Brian Bilello. “We will always be grateful for his efforts in bringing us back to both an MLS Cup final and a U.S. Open Cup Final and wish nothing but the best for him moving forward.”

Soehn was in his fourth season as an assistant coach after joining Heaps’ staff in January 2014. Soehn has been an MLS player, assistant coach, head coach, and team executive. He began his pro playing career in 1988 and has 13 years of MLS coaching experience as both a head coach and assistant, including three seasons with the Chicago Fire and six seasons with D.C. United.