Revs top Sporting K.C. in playoff opener, 2-1

Revs top Sporting K.C. in playoff opener, 2-1
November 2, 2013, 11:15 pm
Share This Post

FOXBORO - The Revolution returned to the MLS playoffs for the first time since 2009 and got second-half goals from Andy Dorman and Kelyn Rowe in a 2-1 victory over Sporting Kansas City in the first leg of their Eastern Conference semifinals series on Saturday night.

Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis – who went undefeated at 7-0-4 in the regular season – made a stunning save in the third minute of stoppage time on SKC’s Dom Dwyer to preserve the victory.

Dorman scored in the 55th minute. Rowe's goal came in the 67th.

The Revolution, appearing in the postseason for the first time since 2009, entered the match with a 501-minute regular season goal drought against Sporting Kansas City, a streak that reaches back to the 2011 season.

The teams play the second leg of Wednesday night in Kansas City, Kan. The team with the most aggregate goals in the two matches will advance to the conference finals.

The Revs finally broke through in the second half, when they created a goal off a broken corner kick in the 55th minute. After SKC cleared the initial service, Rowe sent the ball into the mixer to Juan Agudelo, who kicked it out wide right to Diego Fagundez. Fagundez took a touch and rocketed off a shot, which Sporting keeper Jimmy Nielsen saved. The rebound, however, kicked off Agudelo and back off Nielsen, and Dorman was on the doorstep to knock in the loose ball and give the Revs a 1-0 lead.

The Revs extended the lead in the 67th minute when New England combined through the midfield, setting up their second goal. Agudelo played Nguyen ahead, and the midfielder then flicked the ball to the right to Rowe, who found space on the inside of his defend,

Aurelien Collin scored for Sporting K.C. in the 69th minute.

The match got chippy. A total of seven players were shown yellow cards in the match, with four Revs seeing cards: Dimitry Imbongo, Nguyen, Soares and Chad Barrett. Seth Sinovic, Bunbury and Collin were shown yellow for Kansas City. A second yellow card by any player in the next game will mean they would be forced to miss the first leg of the Eastern Conference Championship should his team advance.