Revs lose to Harrisburg City in U.S. Open Cup


Revs lose to Harrisburg City in U.S. Open Cup

Special to

HARRISBURG, Pa. After going scoreless through 90 minutes, the New England Revolution and Harrisburg City Islanders combined for six goals in extra time before the City Islanders triumphed in a penalty shootout to eliminate the Revs from the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday night at Skyline Sports Complex.

The Revs playing with 10 men following the 36th-minute ejection of Diego Fagundez raced out to what appeared to be an insurmountable 3-0 lead in the first extra time period through goals from Kelyn Rowe (95), Lee Nguyen (100) and Benny Feilhaber (103). But that advantage was wiped away in a remarkable second extra time period as Harrisburg responded through Brian Ombiji (111), Sainey Touray (117) and J.T. Noone (120) to tie the score at 3-3 and send the match to penalties.

New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth stopped the first penalty kick of the shootout to hand the Revs an early edge, but Rowe hit the crossbar and Feilhabers attempt was stopped by Harrisburg goalkeeper Nick Noble to send the City Islanders into the Open Cups fourth round for a meeting with the New York Red Bulls.

Its the fourth straight year in which the Revs have been eliminated in the early rounds of the competition, including 2009 when they were knocked out at the same stage by the City Islanders.

Diego Fagundez scores two goals; Revs rally to beat Crew, 2-1

Diego Fagundez scores two goals; Revs rally to beat Crew, 2-1

FOXBORO -- Diego Fagundez scored two goals in 10 minutes and the New England Revolution rallied from an early deficit to beat the Columbus Crew 2-1 on Sunday.

Fagundez has scored all three of his goals this season in the last two games. The Revolution (3-4-4) have back-to-back wins, for the first time this season, after a five-match winless streak.

A 22-year-old homegrown, Fagundez ran onto a free ball on the left flank, sped up and pushed home the finish into the far corner in the 34th minute to cap the scoring.

Just outside the box, Ola Kamara side-netted a running half-volley - off a perfectly placed pass by Wil Trapp from well-beyond midfield - to give Columbus (6-5-1) a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute. After a turnover by the Crew in their own territory, Fagundez tied it moments later. Kelyn Rowe won the ball, tapped it to Lee Nguyen, who hit a streaking Kei Kamara for a one-timer that set up a tap-in half-volley.

Cody Cropper had his second consecutive shutout, including four saves, for New England.

Andrew Farrell was sent off for a stud-up challenge on Waylon Francis in the third minute of injury time.