Own goal helps Rapids rally past Revs, 2-1

Own goal helps Rapids rally past Revs, 2-1
July 18, 2013, 12:30 am
Share This Post

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids used an own goal in the 67th minute to beat the New England Revolution 2-1 Wednesday.

The winner came when Dillon Powers took a shot from the right wing against Revs goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth. The ball never got to Shuttleworth. Teammate Jose Goncalves got to it first and kicked it into his own net.

The Revolution (6-7-6, 24 pts.) took the one-goal lead, courtesy of Juan Toja’s free-kick goal, into halftime, but the Rapids (8-7-6, 30 pts.) responded with a goal by Nick LaBrocca in the 62nd minute and then the own goal came in the 67th minute.

The defeat gave the Revs back-to-back losses in MLS play for the first time this season, following Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Houston at home. Wednesday’s game was the team’s second of three games in an eight-day span, which concludes Saturday in Columbus.

The Revolution, 1-3-2 in their past six games, haven't won in Colorado since June 15, 2002. They played their fifth straight game without Juan Agudelo, who is recovering from an injured right knee.

The Revolution made four changes to the lineup from its last match. Coming in for left back Chris Tierney (left knee irritation) was Darrius Barnes, making his third start of the season. At forward, Jerry Bengtson replaced Chad Barrett, while Toja came in Kelyn Rowe in an attacking midfield role. Ryan Guy replaced Saer Sene (hip contusion) on the right wing.

Toja’s goal was his first as a member of the Revolution and his first MLS goal in almost five years – since July 19, 2008.

Barnes nearly made it a two-goal New England advantage in the 19th minute when he rose up and connected with a Nguyen corner kick, but his snapped header was just high of Irwin’s crossbar.

Colorado went close in first-half stoppage time when the Revs struggled to clear a Rapids corner. Marvell Wynne tracked down Nate Sturgis’ through ball into the far corner. Wynne got around the ball before it went over the end line and sent a pass back into the heart of the area, where Brown was unmarked and got off a clean first-time shot, but it sailed high of Shuttleworth’s goal.

At the break, the Revs trailed in possession, 34.4 percent to 65.6 percent, while Colorado had out-passed New England by an almost 2-to-1 margin: 246 to 125. However, the Revs maintained their 1-0 lead.

Colorado had a chance to level in the 54th minute when halftime substitute Atiba Harris connected with Nick LaBrocca’s pass, but Shuttleworth bobbled the save. With the ball loose, Edson Buddle pounced but found only side netting from close distance.

Moments later, the Revs’ defense – which entered the game ranked first in MLS – was forced into an unexpected change. Stephen McCarthy was forced off the field after a collision in the 58th minute, his second such incident of the game. In the first half, the central defender was cut on his head, requiring medical attention at halftime. A.J. Soares came on to replace him and partner with Goncalves at center back.

The Rapids finally broke through four minutes later when LaBrocca took a feed from Dillon Powers and rifled a 30-yard shot just inside the near post through traffic, leveling the score at 1-1.

Colorado benefited from a Revs miscue in the 67th minute. Goncalves slipped to the ground close to goal and re-directed Powers’ cross in through a narrow sliver of space between Shuttleworth and the post. The own goal gave Colorado a 2-1 lead after several earlier chances to go ahead.

Shuttleworth gave the Revs a chance to stay in the game with a pair of highlight-level saves late in the game. In the 79th minute, he came out off his line to strip Brown in a one-on-one situation. In the 85th minute, Shuttleworth stepped up to stop Chris Klute from point-blank range.

The Revolution travel Columbus, Ohio, to face the Columbus Crew Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The match will be broadcast live by Comcast SportsNet.

Material from the Associated Press is included in this story.