Ten former Patriots on list of first-year eligibility for Hall of Fame

patriots-logo-032617x.jpg

Ten former Patriots on list of first-year eligibility for Hall of Fame

They won't all make it, of course -- and maybe none of them will -- but 10 former Patriots are included in the list of 108 first-time-eligible players for possible induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Randy Moss, who played for New England from 2007-10, is the biggest name on the list. He's joined by 10 other players who played all or part of their careers with the Pats -- defensive backs Ty Law and Rodney Harrison, linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Willie McGinest, defensive end Richard Seymour, tight end Ben Coates, wide receiver Chad Johnson (previously known as Chad Ochocinco) and running backs Corey Dillion and Fred Taylor,

The roster of nominees consists of 53 offensive players, 38 defensive players, 5 special teams players and 12 coaches. Modern era nominees will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January.

During Super Bowl week, 48 voters will discuss the finalists, plus senior nominees Robert Brazile and Jerry Kramer and contributors nominee Bobby Beathard. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees, though between four and eight new members will be selected.

Star linebackers Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher are among the biggest names on the list. Also part of the 108 early nominees who are eligible for the first time, having been retired for five years when the class is chosen next February, are cornerback Ronde Barber, wideouts Donald Driver and Steve Smith (former Giant, Eagle and Ram), offensive linemen Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday, and defensive lineman Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Returning finalists from 2017 are receivers Isaac Bruce and Terrell Owens; center Kevin Mawae; tackles Tony Boselli and Joe Jacoby; guard Alan Faneca; safeties John Lynch and Brian Dawkins; cornerback Ty Law; and coach Don Coryell.

Enshrinement will be next August in Canton.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Mexico City site of Patriots-Raiders game reportedly 'in good shape' after quake

mexico-city-estadia-aztea-92017.png

Mexico City site of Patriots-Raiders game reportedly 'in good shape' after quake

While a football game should be the furthest thing on people's minds after a natural disaster, the earthquake that measured 7.1 on the Richter scale and struck near Mexico City, killing more than 200, has led to the NFL reviewing whether the Patriots-Raiders game scheduled there for Nov. 19 at Estadio Azteca can take place.

“The initial information from that review is the stadium is remarkably in good shape, and that’s a testament to the construction and the safety devices that were put in place when that stadium was built 50 years ago,” NFL vice president for international Mark Waller told NBCSports.com's Pro Football Talk.  “The stadium is actually built with four gaps in it to allow the stadium to move in the event of an earthquake.”

Social media images showing what some thought was a crack in the stadium actually showed expansion joints that are a safety feature allowing the stadium to withstand an earthquake.

For the second consecutive year, the Raiders are giving up a home game to host a game at the stadium. They defeated the Houston Texans there last season. 

“The Raiders have the people of Mexico City and the surrounding areas in our thoughts and prayers following today’s earthquake,” the Raiders said in a statement. “Mexico City is a special place for the Raider Nation, and the most heartfelt sentiments of the Raiders family go out to all of our Mexican neighbors in this time of need.”