Sheriff's Dept: Meriweather was present at shooting

191543.jpg

Sheriff's Dept: Meriweather was present at shooting

By Tom E. Curran
CSNNE.com

Here's what the Orange County Sheriff's Office said this afternoon about the Brandon Meriweather allegations:
Click here to read a .PDF file of the police report
The Orange County Sheriffs Office has received numerous calls from the local and national media with varying degrees of information and speculation to determine if NFL player William Brandon Meriweather, of the New England Patriots; committed the shooting, or is a suspect in the case.

William Brandon Meriweather, among others, has been identified as being present during a shooting which occurred on February 28th, 2011, which is being investigated by this Office.

We will continue to provide information that is available for release when proper to do so, and in a timely manner.The men shot in the incident were identified as 23-year-old Nico Stanley and 24-year-old Quentin Taylor. The shooting occurred on West 17th Street and S. Central Avenue in Apopka according to the Orlando Sentinel. Meriweather has hired an attorney, Adam Swickle, to represent him.

Tom E. Curran can be reached at tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Tom on Twitter at http:twitter.comtomecurran

Perry: 'Not out of the realm of possibility' Amendola takes pay cut

Perry: 'Not out of the realm of possibility' Amendola takes pay cut

Phil Perry analyzes  whether Danny Amendola will take another pay cut to stay with the New England Patriots.

Darrelle Revis has court date Thursday on fight claims

Darrelle Revis has court date Thursday on fight claims

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has a court date next week on criminal charges stemming from a fight after he turned himself in to police and was later released on a non-monetary bond.

Revis faces aggravated assault and other charges alleging he was in a fight with two men last weekend in Pittsburgh. He answered no questions from the media as he turned himself in Friday. He later made an initial court appearance, and his next court date was scheduled for Thursday.

Revis' attorney has said Revis was physically assaulted by a group of at least five people. He said Revis "feared for his safety" and sought medical attention, but he didn't offer details about the severity of Revis' injuries.

Police say the fight started when a man began recording a video of Revis and Revis grabbed his phone and tried to delete it. Two men say they were punched and knocked out.

The New York Jets said through a spokesman they would have no further comment on Revis' situation other than their initial statement that they were aware of the matter and had spoken with Revis. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an email to The Associated Press that the league was looking into the matter.

Attorney Blaine Jones said Saturday in a text message that while he was hired for the pre-indictment phase of the case, he would not be representing the Jets cornerback going forward.

Revis is due $15 million next season, including a $2 million roster bonus due on the second day of the new league year, March 10.

The $13 million in base salary includes $6 million in guaranteed money, which the Jets would owe him even if they decided to cut him before the deadline.

Revis had a bitter breakup with his agents last year and has no formal representation going forward.

Revis, who is from Aliquippa, was a star at the University of Pittsburgh and was drafted No. 14 overall by the Jets in 2007. He quickly established himself as one of the top players at his position - and in franchise history - while also earning the nickname, "Revis Island" for his penchant for routinely shutting down opposing teams' top receivers. He is in his second stint with the Jets.

---

For more NFL coverage:http://www.pro32.ap.org andhttp://www.twitter.com/AP-NFL