Patriots release Albert Haynesworth


Patriots release Albert Haynesworth

The Patriots' experiment with Albert Haynesworth came to a not-surprising conclusion Tuesday, as the Pats placed the talented but troubled defensive tackle in waivers.

Curran: Haynesworth another personnel whiff Gallery: Other Pats' misses
New England shocked the football world soon after training camp opened by sending a 2013 fifth-round draft choice to the no-doubt-delighted Redskins for Haynesworth, who had been an underperforming headache in Washington since his 2009 arrival as a free agent. Haynesworth even agreed to a team-friendly contract with the Pats, saving them the burden of having to pay off the remainder of his seven-year, 100 million Redskin deal.

Had he been able to perform at anything close to the monster level of play he demonstrated during the early part of his career in Tennessee, Haynesworth would have been another New England bargain. But he could barely get on the field with the Patriots.

A back injury sidelined him for most of the preseason, limiting him to a sliver of action in the exhibition finale. When the regular season began, he played a bit in the opener against Miami -- 30 snaps, according to various reports -- and then it went downhill. He was inactive for games 3 and 4 (Buffalo and Oakland, respectively) because of injuries, and played hardly at all in the next four. He was on the field for only seven plays against the Giants last Sunday, and was manhandled by New York guards Chris Snee and David Diehl when he did get to play.

In addition, the dark side of Haynesworth allegedly reared its ugly head Sunday when he reportedly was involved in a shouting match with defensive-line coach Pepper Johnson after he was leveled by Diehl on Brandon Jacobs' 10-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. Coincidentally or not, Haynesworth never got back on the field after that play.

The recent returns of defensive linemen Brandon Deaderick, Kyle Love and Ron Brace also may have made Haynesworth expendable.

Tom Brady delivers video message at funeral of Navy SEAL

Tom Brady delivers video message at funeral of Navy SEAL

Tom Brady delivered a video message last week at the funeral of Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken, a Maine native and former UConn track athlete killed in Somalia on May 5.

Bill Speros of The Boston Herald, in a column this Memorial Day weekend, wrote about Milliken and Brady's message.   

Milliken ran track at Cheverus High School in Falmouth, Maine, and at UConn, where he graduated in 2001. Milliken lived in Virginia Beach, Va., with his wife, Erin, and two children.  He other Navy SEALs participated in a training exercise at Gillette Stadium in 2011 where he met and posed for pictures with Brady.

Speros wrote that at Milliken’s funeral in Virginia Beach, Va., Brady's video offered condolences and thanked Milliken’s family for its sacrifice and spoke of how Milliken was considered a “glue guy” by UConn track coach Greg Roy.

Milliken had served in Iraq and Afghanistan, earning four Bronze Star Medals and was based in Virginia since 2004.  He was killed in a nighttime firefight with Al-Shabaab militants near Barij, about 40 miles from the Somali capital of Mogadishu. He was 38.

The Pentagon said Milliken was the first American serviceman killed in combat in Somalia since the "Black Hawk Down" battle that killed 18 Americans in 1993. 

In a statement to the Herald, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said: “It was an honor to host Kyle and his team for an exercise at Gillette Stadium in 2011. It gave new meaning to the stadium being known as home of the Patriots. We were deeply saddened to hear of Kyle’s death earlier this month.

“As Memorial Day weekend approaches, we are reminded of the sacrifices made by patriots like Kyle and so many others who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend and protect our rights as Americans. Our thoughts, prayers and heartfelt appreciation are extended to the Milliken family and the many families who will be remembering lives lost this Memorial Day weekend.”