Lawyers want Patriots to compensate families of Aaron Hernandez’s victims

Lawyers want Patriots to compensate families of Aaron Hernandez’s victims

BOSTON — Two families that filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the estate of former Patriots star Aaron Hernandez have asked the team to compensate them for the loss of their loved ones.

Hernandez was accused in the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado but was acquitted in April. Days later he hanged himself in prison, where he was serving a life sentence in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

Following a status hearing in Suffolk Superior Court on Tuesday lawyers for the families said they would “welcome” the Patriots compensating the families.

A team spokesman hasn’t responded to a request for comment.

An attorney for Lloyd’s mother previously called on the team to be “champions of justice” by paying $6 million to Lloyd’s estate.

© 2017 Associated Press.

NFL owners release statements on Trump comments

nfl-logo.jpg

NFL owners release statements on Trump comments

President Donald Trump's comments about NFL players and his tweeted dis-invite of the Warriors led to some prominent athletes to speak out. Now NFL franchises and their owners are weighing in.

At a rally in Alabama on Friday night, Trump said NFL owners should fire players who kneel during the national anthem. And he encouraged NFL fans to walk out of games in protest. 

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you’d say, ’Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired,” Trump told the rally. 

He also lamented that football has become less violent.

“They’re ruining the game,” he complained.