Lamont last to interview with Sox

586856.jpg

Lamont last to interview with Sox

BOSTON -- The final round of interviews for the Red Sox' managerial opening is now -- we think -- concluded. Gene Lamont met with Ben Cherington Saturday, closing out a list of five candidates.

Cherington said he hopes to narrow the field and talk to the finalists next week at the GM meetings in Milwaukee, with the goal of making a hire by Thanksgiving.

"All five guys, I could envision being the manager of the Boston Red Sox,'' Cherington said. "We've got to pick the right one.''

Lamont, who turns 65 on Christmas Day, is the only one of the candidates who has had a full-time managing job. He managed the Chicago White Sox from 1992-95 and the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1997-2000.

Lamont was the Red Sox third-base coach in 2001, when Jimy Williams was fired. Cherington said he didn't have much interaction with Lamont back then, but he was pleasantly surprised with how well they hit it off on Saturday.

"He has a strong voice. He's confident in his opinion,'' Cherington said. "All the things he's done give him a strong voice.''

Lamont was added to Boston's short list when Cherington said he wanted to have at least one candidate with major-league experience. Lamont, who has been the third-base coach for Detroit since 2006, said he would probably handle games like current Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

But he brings a very different personality than his current boss.

"If they think they're getting Jim Leyland here, they're not getting Jim Leyland," said Lamont."They're getting Gene Lamont. But I learned a lot from Jim."

"Lamont has a strong voice," Cherington said. "He's confident in his opinion. All the things he's done give him a strong voice.''

Ainge: Isaiah Thomas visiting hip specialists, no decision yet on surgery

Ainge: Isaiah Thomas visiting hip specialists, no decision yet on surgery

BOSTON – The last 2 1/2 games for the Celtics have come without Isaiah Thomas (right hip) and it has certainly been a factor in Boston trailing Cleveland 3-1 in the Eastern Conference Finals heading into tonight’s must-win for the Celtics to keep their season alive.
 
There have been rumors that if the series with Cleveland were closer, maybe that would lead to a return to the floor for Thomas.
 
“No. No way. He’s done [this season],” Danny Ainge, Celtics president of basketball operations, said on 98.5 the Sports Hub’s "Toucher & Rich" show this morning.
 
Ainge said there’s still swelling in the hip, and it probably won’t go down enough for doctors to make a determination whether surgery is needed for another couple weeks.

Thomas was in New York City earlier this week visiting a hip specialist. He's expected to consult with at least two more before making a decision as to what's the best course of treatment.
 
“Everybody agrees if there’s anything that needs to be done to it surgically, it helps...if the inflammation goes down,” Ainge said. “The recovery [time] would be quicker.”
 
The injury initially occurred on March 15 against Minnesota.
 
Ainge said he didn’t become too concerned about it until after Thomas re-aggravated it in Game 6 of the second-round series against Washington and was questionable to play in Game 7.
 
“I was worried going into the Cleveland series that he was nowhere near himself in Game 1 or 2,” Ainge said. “And Game 2 in the second quarter it was clear he was in a lot of pain. No way we could go out and allow him to play the second half.”
 
Boston was blown out 130-86 in Game 2. In the first half, Thomas had two points and six assists, while missing all six of his shots from the field.
 
Ainge said there was “a lot” of irritation and inflammation around the affected joint in Thomas' right hip.
 
“It had gotten worse from the MRIs he had before,” said Ainge, who added that it would have been “irresponsible to allow him to play anymore.”
 

Butler reaction to Gilmore signing: 'We got another good player'

patriots-malcolm-butler-031417x.jpg

Butler reaction to Gilmore signing: 'We got another good player'

FOXBORO -- Thursday's OTA practice at Gillette Stadium gave reporters their first opportunity to see both Malcolm Butler and Stephon Gilmore on the field at the same time.

Once Gilmore signed with the Patriots earlier this offseason, there was no guarantee he'd actually team up with the 27-year-old in his fourth season out of West Alabama. But Butler wasn't given an offer sheet by the Saints or anyone else, he wasn't traded, and now together they make up one of the most talented cornerback duos in the NFL. 

"Um, nothing much really," Butler replied when asked for his initial reaction to the Gilmore deal. "Nothing much really. We got a better player. We got another player. We got another good player on this team. Anything to help the team win, I'm down with."

Depite the fact that Gilmore is the one who received the big-money contract from the Patriots earlier this year, Butler had nothing but good things to say about his teammate following Thursday's workout. 

"He brings the size and the coverage skills," Butler said. "One of the best guys in the league. Very underrated. [He's] come in, head down, working hard. Just trying to build off each other no matter what."

Butler acknowledged that the corner group, which also includes Eric Rowe, Cyrus Jones and Jonathan Jones, has some work to do when it comes to their communication, but he indicated he'll be happy to chip in wherever he's needed. The Patriots could use some help in the slot following Logan Ryan's departure to Tennessee, and Butler said he'd be open to playing inside.

"Wherever they put me, I'm gonna play that role," he said. "I'm ready to play the slot if that's what it is."