Its another day and another non-update on concussed right wing Nathan Horton.
Horton will miss his third game with what the team termed a mild concussion when the Bruins take the ice against the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night. Horton still doesnt appear close to resuming physical activity while waiting for his symptoms to subside, and Bruins coach Claude Julien basically said there is no update at this point.
Hes still where he was a few days ago. Hes feeling better, but not the stages of where hes working out, said Julien. The day he does feel better, Im going to be the first to let you know that hes on the bike now and that hes moving forward.
Horton was knocked out of the Jan. 22 win over the Philadelphia Flyers after serving as the victim of a blindside head shot from Flyers forward Tom Sestito, and hasnt been able to get back on the ice since then. The Sestito hit on Horton wasnt really captured on clear video replays partially because it occurred behind the play, and there were no penalties or supplemental discipline stemming from the incident.
Here are all the links from around the hockey world, and what I’m reading while watching the worlds of sports and politics collide this weekend.
-- Can former Boston University standout Clayton Keller become the NHL’s newest rookie sensation for the Arizona Coyotes? The skills and the skating are certainly there, but we’ll have to see if he can remain in one piece all season with a middling team around him.
-- PHT writer Cam Tucker has Kris Letang returning to the Penguins on Sunday. It still blows my mind that Pittsburgh was able to win the Cup without him in its lineup last spring.
-- Speaking of the Penguins, they say they will accept the White House invitation to visit after last year’s Cup win, and offer a pretty non-committal statement about what’s going on in the other three major sports right now.
-- It was a tremendously successful opening of Little Caesar’s Arena for the Detroit Red Wings last night as they stomped the Bruins in preseason action.
-- The Maple Leafs' Nazem Kadri is out to prove that last season wasn’t a one-year wonder.
-- For something completely different: Good to see another Stoneham guy getting some accolades for a dead-on impersonation.
Sunday morning, as President Donald Trump resumed his attack on the National Football League, Patriots president and CEO Robert Kraft issued a statement condemning Trump's call for NFL owners to "fire" players who protest against social injustice during the playing of the National Anthem.
MORE ON TRUMP
"I am deeply disappointed by the tone of the comments made by the President on Friday. I am proud to be associated with so many players who make such tremendous contributions in positively impacting our communities. Their efforts, both on and off the field, help bring people together and make our community stronger. There is no greater unifier in this country than sports, and unfortunately, nothing more divisive than politics. I think our political leaders could learn a lot from the lessons of teamwork and the importance of working together toward a common goal. Our players are intelligent, thoughtful and care deeply about our community and I support their right to peacefully affect social change and raise awareness in a manner that they feel is most impactful.”
Trump, meanwhile, was back on Twitter, renewing his demand for punishment -- or employment termination -- against such players: