Fight! Fight! Fight! for IOWA, for country


Fight! Fight! Fight! for IOWA, for country

By Mary Paoletti

"Fallen Navy SEALs dog could lead Hawkeyes onto field"

I'm glad Jon Tumilson's story found a sports intersect so I could write about it here.

Tumilson was a United States Navy SEAL. He died, just 35, in the deadliest single loss for U.S. forces in the 10-year war in Afghanistan. Tumilson and 29 other Americans (22 SEALs) were killed when their helicopter was shot down in Kabul. You probably heard about it.

And you might have forgotten about it already.

I wouldn't blame you if you did. There is no Monday Morning Marine column, there are no Army Insiders or Battalion Blogs. It's not a game. And it'd be foolish to compare the obsession with sports to the indifference to soldiers.

But sometimes these worlds share the same atmosphere.

Such is the case with Jon Tumilson. The SEAL "loved his family, his country, his Iowa Hawkeyes and his dog," wrote Harty. Over 200,000 people bore witness via a viral video of Tumilson's funeral, where Tumilson's canine companion Hawkeye laid, mourning beside the casket.

Former Iowa football player Jon Lazar is one of those hundreds of thousands moved by the scene and he wants to honor Tumilson. According to Harty, Lazar contacted his alma mater's football office with a request for Hawkeye to lead the team onto the field for a home game.

It just tears you apart to see that (video), Lazar said. But I thought how great it would be for that dog to lead the Hawkeyes down to the field and to have the announcer tell the story of this dog.

I think everybody would be crying in the stands.

I hope to hell this happens.

Political and religious affiliations vary and change, but the fact there are United States soldiers serving overseas persists. Their duty is to country; the least of ours should be to remember them.

Go Hawkeyes.

Francona misses second game this month because of health issues

Francona misses second game this month because of health issues

CLEVELAND -- Indians manager Terry Francona missed Tuesday night's game against Texas after his second trip to the hospital this month.

The Indians said doctors for now have ruled out major health issues and Francona will be monitored the next several weeks.

Francona, 58, left Monday night's game because he wasn't feeling well. He spent several hours at Cleveland Clinic and underwent a series of tests.

Francona was released from the hospital on Tuesday and spent the rest of the day at home. He was expected to return to the dugout Wednesday when the Indians host the Rangers. Cleveland lost to Texas 2-1 on Tuesday.

Bench coach Brad Mills ran the team in Francona's absence. Cleveland began the day in first place in the AL Central after rallying for a 15-9 win Monday.

"Tito actually wanted to come back to the ballpark today," team president Chris Antonetti said Tuesday. "I told him he can't come back to the ballpark today. He only got a couple hours of sleep last night, so despite his desire to want to be here, I thought it was best that he gets some rest tonight and just come back tomorrow. His plan when he was getting released from the hospital was to come over here."

"I don't think he was exceedingly happy with me," Antonetti said with a laugh. "That's OK."

Francona was hospitalized June 13 following a game at Progressive Field. He underwent tests and was released a few hours later, returning to work the following night. Last August, he missed a game after experiencing chest pains but was back the next day.

"Thankfully, we've got some great doctors that are coordinating his care," Antonetti said. "They've done every test they can possibly imagine. They've all come back clean. They're now working to try to figure out what are some of those things that are causing him to not feel so well."

Francona, a close friend of Mills for several years, has retained his sense of humor through his health issues.

A statement released by the team Tuesday read, "Mr. Francona also wanted to express that medical personnel have not yet ruled out an allergy to Bench Coach Brad Mills."