Crawford's visit to orthopedist a 'fact-finding mission'

644162.jpg

Crawford's visit to orthopedist a 'fact-finding mission'

MINNEAPOLIS -- Carl Crawford's pending visit to noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews was termed a "fact-finding mission,'' according to manager Bobby Valentine.
Prior to gametime Wednesday, the Red Sox didn't have a set time or date for Crawford's visit to Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., where the outfielder is set to get a second opinion on his sore left elbow.
Crawford has had the elbow looked at in Boston twice in the last week, but has decided he wants to have someone else examine him.
"The only thing I heard,'' said Valentine, "is that he hadn't been throwing for a couple of days (in extended spring training) and then he was shagging and picked up a ball and kind of lobbed it in. He still felt something, so that's what raised concerns.
"Sometimes it's that you haven't thrown in a few days and you didn't warm up and you weren't expecting to throw and you throw and it's an owie. It's not like he's gone out and tried to throw and said, 'I can't throw.' And I bet if this was the seventh game of the World Series and he had to advance it in, he could advance it forward.''
The Red Sox performed an MRI on the elbow during Crawford's first visit back to Boston prior to the home opener. He was unsure whether a second one was performed Tuesday when Crawford was re-examined in Boston.
Asked if surgery loomed as a possibility for Crawford, Valentine reacted with surprise.
"I haven't heard any reason that's there's a surgical procedure (that might) be necessary,'' he said. "I haven't heard that. Hope not.''

Wojnarowski: C's, Pacers talking Nets pick for George

Wojnarowski: C's, Pacers talking Nets pick for George

Often times reporting something can shake something loose from another source. That might have been the case Thursday morning. 

Just eight minutes after Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted that the Celtics and Pacers were not in advanced discussions on Paul George because of Boston’s unwillingness to deal the Nets’ 2017 first-round pick, he sent a follow-up saying sources had indicated that the pick was indeed in play. 

George, 26, will be a free agent after the 2017-18 season. 

O'Connor: Zizic would go top-10 in 2017 draft

O'Connor: Zizic would go top-10 in 2017 draft

It seems the Celtics can throw yet another piece onto their treasure trove of assets. 

The Celtics stashed two of their first-round picks from the 2016 draft overseas and in the process have seen 23rd overall pick Ante Zizic establish himself as a very promising NBA prospect. 

The Croatian center, currently playing in the Turkish League, has boosted his stock with a strong season in what’s expected to be his last before joining the Celtics. Appearing on Toucher and Rich Thursday morning, The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor said that Zizic has improved to the point that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft. “He looks really good,” O’Connor said. “I liked him last year when I first watched him. I thought, ‘Good energy big man. He’ll have a solid career,’ but then the more you watch him, the more you see. 

“This year, he’s really taken a step forward. All his strengths look better. All the things he was already good at like screening, rebounding and rim-protection, he looks better. But he’s also starting to flash a little bit of a mid-range jumper, and he’s never had bad mechanics, but now that shot’s starting to fall. So maybe he can be more than that energy big man. Maybe he’s a little bit more dynamic than that. 

“If I’m the Celtics, I value him as you’re getting a top-10 pick this yea. I think he’d go around nine or 10 in this draft.”