BOSTON Left fielder Carl Crawford served as the designated hitter in an extended spring training game earlier today, going 2-for-4 with a double, a home run, and three walks. Crawford is on the 15-day disabled list after left wrist surgery in January and elbow soreness earlier this month.
Hes going to be examined in Boston sometime in the couple, three days, manager Bobby Valentine said. And if the exam goes well, then theyre going to either put him in the outfield, which Im hoping he can just go in the outfield and underhand it in for a while and just start playing that way and then get on a throwing program. Im hoping thats the next step.
But, with the Red Sox outfield situation getting bleaker by the day Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury on the DL, and recent call-up Jason Repko suffering a slight shoulder separation after crashing into the wall yesterday the Sox are unlikely to rush Crawfords rehab.
Crawford has yet to begin a rehab assignment. The Sox would have 20 days from the start of an assignment to activate him.
I guess he could start playing somewhere else, DH, Valentine said. Its been talked about but were not sure of the necessity of having him move around, different weather. Right now he needs to see pitches, get at-bats, get on base, steal those bases, start getting comfortable in playing the game. Im not sure that were worried about the competition level. Were worried about his comfort and then his physical.
It seems the Celtics can throw yet another piece onto their treasure trove of assets.
The Celtics stashed two of their first-round picks from the 2016 draft overseas and in the process have seen 23rd overall pick Ante Zizic establish himself as a very promising NBA prospect.
The Croatian center, currently playing in the Turkish League, has boosted his stock with a strong season in what’s expected to be his last before joining the Celtics. Appearing on Toucher and Rich Thursday morning, The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor said that Zizic has improved to the point that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2017 draft. “He looks really good,” O’Connor said. “I liked him last year when I first watched him. I thought, ‘Good energy big man. He’ll have a solid career,’ but then the more you watch him, the more you see.
“This year, he’s really taken a step forward. All his strengths look better. All the things he was already good at like screening, rebounding and rim-protection, he looks better. But he’s also starting to flash a little bit of a mid-range jumper, and he’s never had bad mechanics, but now that shot’s starting to fall. So maybe he can be more than that energy big man. Maybe he’s a little bit more dynamic than that.
“If I’m the Celtics, I value him as you’re getting a top-10 pick this yea. I think he’d go around nine or 10 in this draft.”
CSN baseball analyst Lou Merloni sits down with Pedro Martinez and Red Sox hitting coach Chili Davis to discuss one of Pedro's greatest games.
SUBSCRIBE Audioboom | iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify
On September 10, 1999 at the height of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, Pedro Martinez struck out 17 Yankees in a complete game victory, with the only hit he allowed being a home run to Chili Davis. The two men recall that memorable night in the Bronx, and discuss the state of pitching in 2017.