Report: Celtics agree to terms with Arroyo

Report: Celtics agree to terms with Arroyo
March 5, 2011, 10:54 pm
Share This Post

By Jessica Camerato
CSNNE.com

The Boston Celtics have come to terms with point guard Carlos Arroyo, the Boston Herald reported.

Arroyo was waived by the Miami Heat prior to their acquisition of Mike Bibby. The nine-year veteran averaged 5.6 points and 2.0 assists for the Heat this season.

A roster spot became available when the Celtics did not re-sign center Chris Johnson to another 10-day contract. Doc Rivers noted after practice on Saturday that their priority was finding help in the backcourt.

Honestly, were trying to sign a point guard, he said. If we can sign a point guard, then were going to move C.J.

The addition of Arroyo gives the Celtics a veteran backup for Rajon Rondo, whose minutes have become a concern of Rivers. With Delonte West and Von Wafer injured, and rookie Avery Bradley still developing, the Celtics lack a reliable option behind Rondo.

Rondo is averaging over 37 minutes per game this season, and Rivers is worried about the amount of time he is on the court.

The guy Ive got to keep down more is Rondo, Rivers said after Rondo played nearly 42 minute on Friday against the Golden State Warriors. Even though hes young, hes still playing too many minutes the last four or five games. With Delonte (West) out, thats put a lot of stress on us as well.

Rondo suffered a strained left hamstring and sprained left ankle earlier in the season, and is being cautious about his health as he plays major minutes.

Id benefit a lot from playing less minutes, he said. But we dont practice long, we practice hard, so thats key for my recovery. Im doing what I can do on off days as far as getting my rest, icing, getting a massage, so Im young. Ill be ok.

Jessica Camerato is on Twitter at http:twitter.comjcameratonba