Ray Allen commits to 3-point shootout

Ray Allen commits to 3-point shootout
February 5, 2011, 12:38 am
Share This Post

By Jessica Camerato
CSNNE.com

BOSTON - Ray Allen has committed to participate in the Three-Point Shootout during NBA All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles.

His teammate, Paul Pierce, is the defending champion. The league has yet to officially announce the contestants.

Earlier this week Pierce tweeted, "I think me and Ray Allen need to have a shootout in this years 3pt contest what y'all think come on NBA make it happen."

Although Pierce has not challenged Allen to the contest in person, Allen is more than ready.

"I'm up for any challenge. I'm always up for a challenge," he said, adding, "When would you think I'd ever back down to shooting?"

Allen said 'yes' while the Celtics were in Washington last month.

He is nine 3-pointers shy of breaking the all-time record of most 3-pointers made in NBA history. He is shooting 45.8 percent from long-range this season.

On Thursday, Allen was named as a reserve to the Eastern Conference All-Star team. Even though he was uncertain if he would make the team, he still planned on being in LA.

"I was going regardless," he said.

Allen won the contest in 2001 as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks and also competed in 2000, 2002, 2005, and 2006.

He participated in the Slam Dunk Contest in 1997 as well.

Jessica Camerato is on Twitter at http:twitter.comjcameratonba