NBA players prepare to sit out half a season


NBA players prepare to sit out half a season

By A. Sherrod Blakely Celtics Insider
Follow @sherrodbcsn LAS VEGAS After meeting for more than five hours on Tuesday, it appears the NBA is well on its way to a shortened season.

Billy Hunter, executive director of the players union, told reporters after Tuesday's meeting that the union is advising players that "they may have to sit out half the season before we get a deal."

Derek Fisher, president of the players union, added, "it's discouraging and it's unfortunate, but that's the reality of where we are right now."

Fisher added, "We can't come out of here thinking that training camps and preseason (games) are going to start on time at this point."

It didn't take long for the news out of New York, to make its way to Las Vegas where a number of NBA players are currently participating in the Impact Basketball Training Series.

"As you know, the meetings didn't go the way we planned for them to go," Charlotte Bobcats forward Corey Maggette told Comcast SportsNet. "We're so far apart, between both sides. Hopefully Derek as well as Billy, can figure out a way to fix this, and the owners can work this out."

When told about Hunter's comments, Boston Celtics center Jermaine O'Neal's first thoughts turned toward the NBA's expanding fan base.

"I feel bad for the fans that support this great league," he told "We want the league to be a great league, but we want it to be a fair league. We want to be fair to the owners, but we want to be fair to us, too. We don't want to be locked into something that's not fair to us."

The owners, for now at least, will not budge on insisting on a hard salary cap in addition to what will amount to reduced salaries.

Washington Wizards forward Rashard Lewis said he's not surprised that talks have stalled to the point where now the season's start is in jeopardy.

"Billy Hunter has prepared us for this situation," Lewis said. "A lot of the NBA guys were pretty much expecting. It's disappointing, but it's not a big surprise."

NBA commissioner David Stern addressed the media following Tuesday's talks which lasted more than five hours - most of which was spent with the owners talking among themselves, according to Hunter.

He told reporters that the players union was willing to make some concessions on divvying up the Basketball-Related Income, provided the current soft salary cap remain in effect.

Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver chimed in by saying the players had an "emotional attachment" to the current soft salary cap system.

"The owners are unwilling to move off of the position on which they've anchored themselves," said Hunter, who added that the owners did not present a different proposal.

Tuesday's meetings were a sharp departure from the seemingly upbeat nature of talks last week. Part of that had to do with Tuesday's meetings involving more members from both sides, which brought about a much deeper discussion on critical issues such as salary cap and the league's economic structure - both of which the owners want to change significantly from the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement that expired on June 30.

"We understand that the world has changed and we need to make some changes," O'Neal said. "But what they're asking for ... it's just not fair to us."

O'Neal wonders why the owners aren't talking more among themselves about modifying their revenue sharing system to better spread the wealth to smaller-market teams which would create more parity and what he believes could potentially keep salaries across the league more in check.

"We can get a deal done, and we will get one done," O'Neal said. "But what the owners are talking about right now ... it's just not good for us or the league."

And unlike the last labor stoppage in 1998, there seems to be a greater sense of unity among the union members.

However, that bond will be put to the test in the coming weeks when NBA players start missing checks.

While veterans such as O'Neal have no plans to play overseas, some of the league's younger players will certainly look to keep playing somewhere.

Celtics guard Avery Bradley told Comcast SportsNet that his preference is to wait out the late start and begin the season with the Celtics.

But he wouldn't rule out taking his talents overseas.

"I'm going to do what's best for me," Bradley said. "If going overseas is what's best for me, then that's what I'm going to do."

Maggette said he too would consider playing overseas.

"Right now, we're unemployed," Maggette said. "When you're unemployed, you have to find another gig. it's not the NBA, but we need to find another solution."

Added former Celtic Tony Allen, now with the Memphis Grizzlies: "I don't care what job you have; NBA player, whatever, you don't want to miss any checks. None of us want to be out of work. But hey, we have to get the best deal we can. If we have to wait a minute on that, we have to wait."

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http:twitter.comsherrodbcsn

Celtics hope to rebound after being outplayed by Bulls on the boards

Celtics hope to rebound after being outplayed by Bulls on the boards

Following Thursday’s 105-99 loss to the Chicago Bulls, the Boston Celtics will be on the prowl to rebound – literally – from its first defeat of the season.

Because for all that did not go right in Thursday night’s loss, the way Boston was beaten on the boards stands out emphatically.

“They got 24 more shots than us. We only turned it over (12) times,” Celtics head coach Brad Stevens told reporters after the loss. “So that’s the obvious place they’re getting their possessions, on the glass. That’s going to be the number one thing, that has been the number one thing. It’s something we’ve talked about. We have to get better at it.”


Boston was out-rebounded 55-36 on the boards which heavily factored into Chicago’s 18-5 advantage in second-chance points.

In the Celtics' 122-117 win over Brooklyn on Wednesday, Boston won the overall rebounding battle 47-44, but had just 12 offensive rebounds compared to Brooklyn's 15 offensive boards. Despite the close margin, the Nets won the battle on the offensive glass running away, outscoring the Celtics 23-13 in second-chance points.

Stevens decided to start Tyler Zeller ahead of Amir Johnson to begin the third quarter, hoping Zeller would be a better matchup on the glass than Johnson who did not grab a single rebound in the 11 minutes of court time he got in the first half.

While Zeller did do a few good things on the glass and scoring in half-court sets, it wasn’t enough to swing the momentum Chicago was steadily gaining due to its ability to control the boards.

“I wasn’t real surprised but at the same time I knew it could happen,” Zeller told reporters, referring to Stevens’ decision to have him start the second half. “They did a good job of coming out and setting the tone. They beat us up on the boards, especially the first half. It’s something we have to get better at and continue to grow at.”

And it’s not a one-player or one-position issue, either.

Usually we think of bigs when it comes to rebounding. But Boston’s guards need to step up their rebounding game as well.

The struggles thus far have to be put in the context of this being just two games, the latter being the season opener for the Bulls who were jacked up more than usual due to it being the first game for Chicago native Dwyane Wade and ex-Celtic Rajon Rondo.

“We have to focus on boxing out,” said Boston’s Jaylen Brown. “Guards have to do a better job. Guys like me, Al (Horford), Amir (Johnson), Tyler (Zeller) ... We have to do a good job of coming in the weak side and grabbing those; just focus on it, pay more attention to detail.”