Buchholz healthy and ready to go

672542.jpg

Buchholz healthy and ready to go

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Clay Buchholz's last start came last June, and he missed the entire second half of the season after being diagnosed with a lower back stress fracture.

But Buchholz, who reported to spring training Tuesday, is fully healthy and eager to put the 2011 season behind him.

"I feel pretty good,'' said Buchholz. "I started a little bit earlier this offseason than I usually do, just for the simple fact that I wanted to make sure everything came together okay. I'm probably about eight or nine bullpens in and haven't had any problems, so I feel good.''

Buchholz spent the offseason working out at API in Arizona, joining teammate Dustin Pedroia.

"It's come together,'' he said. "I haven't had any issues with it. It's been good so far.''

After the Red Sox failed to reach the postseason, Buchholz reported to the Instructional League and made three starts there, giving him some peace of mind during the winter.

"It was definitely a good thing for me to come down here,'' he said, "and know that, going into the offseason, I wasn't injured anymore and I was able to throw without any pain.''

Now that he's healthy, Buchholz is intent on making 30-plus starts.

"I think it's big,'' he said of the significance of maintaining that workload. "It's what I want to do every time i come into spring training. It what's I prepare myself to do."

Red Sox claim RHP Doug Fister off waivers, sign INF Jhonny Peralta

Red Sox claim RHP Doug Fister off waivers, sign INF Jhonny Peralta

 

BOSTON — They have the right idea, if not yet the right personnel.

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski has brought on a pair of former Tigers in an effort to help the Red Sox’ depth.

It’s hard to expect much from righty Doug Fister — who mostly throws in the 80s these days and is to start Sunday — or from Jhonny Peralta, who’s going to play some third base at Triple-A Pawtucket. Fister was claimed off waivers from the Angels, who coincidentally started a three-game series with the Red Sox on Friday at Fenway Park. Peralta, meanwhile, was signed as a free agent to a minor league deal.

Neither may prove much help. Fister could move to the bullpen when Eduardo Rodriguez is ready to return, Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said. The Sox hope E-Rod is back in time for the All-Star break.

That’s assuming Fister is pitching well enough that the Sox want to keep him.

But at least the Sox are being proactive looking for help, and it’s not like either Peralta or Fister is high-risk.

Fister, 33, threw 180 1/3 innings last year with the Astros, posting a 4.64 ERA. He hasn’t been in the big leagues yet this season.

Said one American League talent evaluator earlier this year about Fister’s 2016: “Had a nice first half. Then struggled vs. left-handed hitters and with finishing hitters. No real putaway pitch. Has ability to pitch around the zone, reliable dude.”