McQuaid a 'possibility' for opening night due to illness

504320.jpg

McQuaid a 'possibility' for opening night due to illness

By Joe Haggerty
CSNNE.com Bruins Insider Follow @hackswithhaggs

Adam McQuaid missed his second straight day of practice with a fluvirus according to Bruins coach Claude Julien, and the strapping defensemen has been listed by his coach as a possibility for tomorrow nights opener against the Philadelphia Flyers.

McQuaid stayed away from the team on Tuesday, but reported to the Garden on Wednesday for treatment while skipping over practice. Its no wonder that more Bruins players didnt come down with some kind of cold after spending two days on the water in rainy Maine during the team-bonding activities.

Hes still sick. Hes battling a flu, bug or a virus, said Julien. He came in today and we decided to keep him off the ice. But hes getting better. Tomorrow Id say he is a possibility.

If McQuaid cant play a highly unlikely scenario given that the illness doesnt seem too series then it would fall on rookie Matt Bartkowski to fill out the six starting defensemen for the Bruins on banner-raising night.

Julien said the starting lineup was beginning to take shape for Thursday night, and that will be a competitive situation among the bottom six forwards in particular. Rich Peverley will start the season skating on the wing with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand, and that line looked dynamic during training camp. It would appear to be a choice between Jordan Caron or Benoit Pouliot on the third line heading into the regular season, and Claude Julien wasnt tipping his hand.

Somebody may not start, but if somebody is flying when they get a chance then they may shut the door on everybody else, said Julien. There are tons of factors that become part of the discussion. Who would be the better fit right now, or who we think would be the better fit.

You go based on the information that you have, but guys surprise you every single year. You have to adapt. Were going to start with something as a lineup tomorrow that I doubt very much well end up with. Thats how it goes.

Stay tuned as all Bruins roster questions should be answered in the next 24 hours.

Joe Haggerty can be reached at jhaggerty@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Joe on Twitter at http:twitter.comHackswithHaggs

Former Bruins star Ray Bourque 'in unfamiliar territory'

bruins_ray_bourque_062516.jpg

Former Bruins star Ray Bourque 'in unfamiliar territory'

ANDOVER, Mass. — Former Boston Bruins star Ray Bourque, who's facing a drunken driving charge, says he accepts the responsibility of his actions.

Bourque was charged Friday night with operating under the influence of alcohol and following too closely. He posted bail and was released.

"For the first time in my life, I find myself in unfamiliar territory," Bourque said in a statement released Sunday. "I am not happy about the situation I put myself into."

Andover Police Chief Patrick Keefe said the 55-year-old Bourque was arrested about 11:30 p.m. after his Mercedes-Benz rear-ended a minivan in a construction zone in the city. No injuries were reported.

Bourque is to be arraigned in Lawrence District Court. Police haven't provided a date.

According to The Boston Globe, Bourque currently owns Tresca, a restaurant on Boston's North End.

'Everything is on track' with Bruins prospect Zboril

bruins-jakub-zboril.jpg

'Everything is on track' with Bruins prospect Zboril

Little more than a year after he was drafted in the middle of the first round by the Boston Bruins, some are whispering that 19-year-old Jakub Zboril isn’t going to live up to advanced billing. Clearly the Czech defenseman took a step back for the Saint John Sea Dogs after being taken 13th by the Bruins in last year’s draft, and dropped to six goals and 20 points in 50 games in the QMJHL while watching second round pick Jeremy Lauzon pass him by on the prospect hype chart.

Perhaps the more concerning thing have been the whispers about an erratic work ethic and bad habits in Zboril’s game, a couple of criticisms that haven’t exactly gone away since the Bruins signed him to a contract last summer following development camp. Bruins assistant general manager Scott Bradley was asked about those concerns with the young D-man as he heads into an important training camp with Boston this fall, and didn’t seem all that concerned about his first round pick being a “bust.”

“I think his offensive production was down, and that he struggled a little bit coming out of the gate” said Bradley of Zboril, who had 13 goals and 33 points in 44 games during his first season in the Quebec Major Junior League prior to getting drafted by Boston. “But he had a strong playoff. Everybody forgets that he’s a gritty guy, and a strong player that moves the puck. The thing that stands out about him are that his numbers are down from last year.

“But everything is on track with him. He’s going to come to camp and hopefully shines, and has a good year this year…patience.

“I think it’s great if the second rounders are on par with him: the [Brandon] Carlos and the [Jeremy] Lauzons. If you look at the whole of our draft last year you can’t rule out the first eight picks that they might play [in the NHL]. We’re excited. Donnie and I were at the Memorial Cup, and Lauzon raised our eyebrows every night that he played. You’d come away with a good feeling like this kid plays hard, plays the Bruins style, moves the puck and is tough. Obviously [you had to like] what Carlo did when he was brought in [to Providence] at the end. It just bodes well for what we have coming this year. Zboril and Lauzon are probably going back to junior, but Carlo is going to get a long look.”

The young Czech D-man is still at a point where his stock can still shoot higher than it’s ever been with a good showing at training camp, and a strong season for the Sea Dogs entering into his professional hockey career. But he can’t afford to go through another down season, or that talk of him being a first round bust is only going to get louder and stronger.