By Joe Haggerty
CSNNE.com Bruins InsiderFollow @hackswithhaggs
WILMINGTON A couple of days ago a source with knowledge of the Brad Marchand negotiations said the two sides werent that far apart, and today the deal was finalized.
The Bruins announced on Wednesday that they re-signed Marchand, who was a restricted free agent, to a two-year deal worth 5 million. The deal will pay Marchand 2 million for the 2011-12 season and 3 million for the 2012-13 campaign after which he will again become a restricted free agent. Sources have indicated to CSNNE.com that Marchand's camp was pushing for a longer deal, but rejected a three-year, 6.5 million offer from the Bruins before eventually reaching accord on a two-year pact.
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli and agent Wade Arnott have held an ongoing dialogue this summer over Marchands contract status, and it once appeared that the contract talks for the Ken Linseman clone might drag into training camp.
Instead the talks picked up steam once Marchand reported to Boston to attend a string of captains practices with his teammates at Ristuccia Arena, and the 20 goal scorer now has a new deal before the Bruins begin practices. Marchand never wavered in his desire to remain in Boston as a member of the Bruins, and the deal means that the dynamic duo of Marchand and Patrice Bergeron should be skating together for at least two more years.
Joe Haggerty can be reached at email@example.com. Follow Joe on Twitter at http:twitter.comHackswithHaggs
BRIGHTON, Mass -- It hasn’t been an easy road for Bruins rookie goaltender Zane McIntyre since getting called back up by Boston a few weeks ago.
The 24-year-old netminder is trying to give the B’s top-level goaltending while earning the trust of the Bruins coaching staff, and adjusting to the sporadic playing time that goes along with playing understudy to a No. 1 netminder like Tuukka Rask. The three goals allowed in the third period of Sunday afternoon’s 5-1 loss to the Penguins didn’t look good on paper, but really there wasn’t much McIntyre could do with the defense totally breaking down in front of him during a 12-shot barrage in the final 20 minutes.
The 3.95 goals against average and .860 save percentage certainly look like a little frightening for the first-year goalie, but the truth is there’s going to be some bumps as he adjusts to life as a backup for the first time.
“[The adjustment] is mostly between the ears, to be honest,” said McIntyre. “I have confidence in my physical abilities and I know what I can do, and what makes my game successful. So right now it’s just building confidence every day in practice and staying persistent, staying with it. I know good things are going to happen when you surround yourself with good people, and the biggest thing is battling every day and making sure I’m contributing to the team.”
McIntyre will certainly have to be sharp if he’s put back in the crease on Tuesday night against the Red Wings after Rask exited from Sunday’s loss in the second period with symptoms of a migraine. The Bruins top goalie missed practice on Monday while getting himself checked out medically, and there’s a chance he could be out if the symptoms are in any way related to the Roman Josi shot he took off his neck last week.
“I’m just taking it day-by-day to be honest. That’s what I’ve always done in the past, and I’m just trying to build up confidence every day,” said McIntyre, who had been lights out in Providence prior to getting the call to Boston. “We’ll just see what happens and roll with it.”
That’s a challenge McIntyre will certainly be up for in a different way than Sunday’s mop-up duty, but it remains to be seen just how steady-footed the Bruins will be about their goalie situation if Rask is expected to miss any time this week.